jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can someone explain American Football to me?

1. TFScientist profile image88
    TFScientistposted 6 years ago

Can someone explain American Football to me?

I watched the SuperBowl here in the UK and was completely lost! Stop-start, flags everywhere dozens of team members...how does it all work?

2. wilderness profile image98
    wildernessposted 6 years ago

A bunch of human refrigerators run around on a field, smashing each other to the ground whenever possible, in an effort to move a small oblate spheroid to the end of that field.

3. Y2G profile image59
    Y2Gposted 6 years ago

The Basics: 11 men per team on the field. You have to snap the ball on offense to start the play, then the QB will hand the ball to the running back (the guy behind him) or throw a pass. You get 4 downs to get 10 yards, usually teams will kick it away after 3 downs if they are too far away from scoring to play the field position game (make it harder for the other team to score). You try to score as much points as possible whether it be via touchdown (getting all the way down the field) or field goal (kicking it through the goalposts).

4. scottcgruber profile image80
    scottcgruberposted 6 years ago

You see, the Super Bowl is consistently one of the most-watched broadcasts on American television. Since it takes place early in the calendar year, advertisers have traditionally used it as a platform for launching the year's ad campaign, in 2012 paying $3.5 million for a 30-second spot. For about one-third of these advertisers, the amount spent on Super Bowl advertising comprises 10% of their advertising budget for the entire year.

Also, there's a game going on between the commercials in which some men in padding try and move a ball over a painted line and/or kick it through a giant upturned croquet wicket.