I fell in love with boxing...all over again

1. cassiusklay profile image55
    cassiusklayposted 14 years ago

On Sept 26th, I was reminded why Boxing is the best sport to a fan.

It was the night Vatali Klitschko vs. Chris Arreola would meet at Staples Center to fight for the Heavyweight Championship of the world.

The night was set up for history. Chris was attempting to be the first Heavyweight fighter of Mexican descent, to win a Heavyweight title. And it was also the night I fell in love with boxing all over again.

As I sat in my seat, I noticed 2000 Olympic gold medalist Andre Ward. As I greeted him, I wished him well in this fall’s Super Six tournament on Showtime. It's the Supper Middleweight version of a round robin tournament. I then spoke with Edison Miranda, the Colombian fighter who will be fighting this October. If he wins, he will be the number one mandatory for the winner of the rematch between, Lucian Abute vs. Librado Andrade.

A few minutes after that, the crowd goes into frenzy…it was Mickey Rourke. With the reaction of the crowd, its seems that the man has created a cult following after resurrecting his career…his main followers seem to be…very hot, fake breasted women. As the crowd mobbed him for pictures and he walked my way I thought, what the heck, lets take a pic...your freak'n Mickey Rourke, he laughed and obliged.

The first fight was over, a back and fourth bout, but pretty much a snoozer. I decided to go up for drinks. As I walked up, I noticed a face... it was Bobby Chicano. Bobby was born in Sylmar, Ca. He retired with 59 wins, 7 losses and 1 no contest, with 47 wins coming by knockout. Even though I never saw him fight, I was told stories about him by my father.  As I greeted the legend for the first time,I realized that after so many fights, he is left with slurring speech. Bobby was quick to remind me where to place a body shot, as we posed for a picture.

I returned to my seat with drink in hand, just in time for the next fight. It was a bout I was curious to see. The fighter was Salvador Sanchez, the nephew of deceased legend, Salvador Sanchez (I know, how ironic). As the fighter walked out of the tunnel to enter the ring, I noticed my good friend, Ruben. I met Ruben when I was younger at a local gym (Brother's Gym, R.I.P Jim Moriarty) where he was a trainer. His fighter won by TKO.

A few moments later, Hollywood had arrived. Arnold Schartzenegger and Sylvester Stallone made their way into the arena before the main event. As they passed by me I shook hands with them. I was utter shock...did i really just shake hands with the Terminator and Rambo.

The moment did not last too long. Ruben made his way back into the arena to watch the pre-fight to the main event. I congratulated him and his fighter on their victory. The pre-fight was over after eight entertaining rounds.   

Finally…The stage was set for the main event. I called everyone that I knew who would be watching the fight on TV. To watch the fighters walking in closely...because I was going to find a way to get my fifteen minutes of fame. “I was going to acknowledge everyone by waving peace sign.”

After sneaking by security and leaving my girlfriend in what was becoming a mad house from anticipation for the main event, I was there. I was along the rail...the fighters were to come out in a few moments.

While waiting for the fighters to make their entrances, I noticed James Toney. James is a future Hall of Famer in boxing. He has fought legends Roy Jones and Evander Holyfield. James lives and trains in the LA area and I’ve seen him at my local gym. As I spoke with him, I asked if he was still training at the 360 Gym in Reseda, Ca. He said yes, and told me to come by anytime around 4pm. I'm considering showing up, with my gear, but with no intention to pick a fight. Maybe light sparring and to get lessons from a skilled veteran.

I then noticed Jeremy Piven. He like everyone else was rushing to his seat. Before he could get past the crowd. I had only one thing in mind to shout out to him….”Fuck Johnny Drama” without missing a beat. He looked over and gave me the famous Ari smirk.

As the music drowned the arena, the crowd stood to a roar…its fight time. The fighters are making their way into the ring. Chris is the first fighter to come out. As he walked by, I patted him on the shoulder and then I stretched across the rail and threw up my peace sign into the camera… I did it. I was like a five-year-old kid, who was seemingly dying to get picked to get on a ride at Disneyland. I’ve gotten my first fifteen minutes of fame.

After Vitali made his way into the ring, the fighters were announced and the fight was on.

After ten rounds the fight has halted by Chris’ trainer. His young charge was taking a beating by the masterful performance Vitali had laid out that night.

I had picked Chris to win by KO because he was ten years younger and has great knockout power. Vitali reminded everyone that if you stick to your craft year in and year out, You will always be ready for what ever comes your way.

Before I arrived at the arena, I never anticipated everything I would experience that night. I have been to many events and met many athletes. But no other sport or athlete have shown me the love that boxing has.

Sincerely,

Frank Gomez

Email: Cassiusklay@gmail.com

2. bpo-outsourcing profile image59
    bpo-outsourcingposted 14 years ago

I love to watch boxing on tv especially if Pacman is on the ring smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)