jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Working out and Peanut Butter...

1. CJ Andrews profile image93
    CJ Andrewsposted 5 years ago

Working out and Peanut Butter...

After I workout I generally have 2 Tablespoons of creamy peanut butter.  Do you think this is good or bad?  And why?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/6907390_f260.jpg

2. duffsmom profile image61
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I'm no health expert but PNB any time is good in my book.  Most peanut butter is full of sugar. I finally got used to the natural kind that has no sugar or additives.  It is is higher in calories, 210 for 2 TBL.  But it makes a good snack.  So in my untrained opinion, I think it is a good snack after a workout--it is dense in calories and protein.

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 5 years ago

More than likely good as it'll help replace lost protein and sugars. Even better would be a small glass of full milk to wash it all down. Milk aids in rebuilding muscle and has calcium and fats which are restorative, leaving you ready for the next work out. Yoghurt might also be a useful food for a post work out snack - looks like we're heading for a three course meal here, better stop.

4. huntnfish profile image98
    huntnfishposted 5 years ago

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this! Actually, I eat way more than that, like a jar every three days, sometimes more. I run a substantial amount though so I'm always looking for calorie dense foods to replenish. Like duffsmom said, if you haven't already switched over to the all natural kind, (I'm obsessed with Adam's) I would suggest trying it. It might seem a little bland at first, but you will be eliminating the added sugar, nearly all the added salt, as well as added hydrogenated oils, trans fats, preservative, colors, flavors, etc. After a while though, you will acquire a taste for it and the other brands lose their appeal. Peanut butter smeared on dried dates is my go-to post workout food.

1. duffsmom profile image61
      duffsmomposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree about Adam's. We get the pre-stirred and frankly, I can no longer eat Skippy's or Jiff. It is awful once you get used to Adam's.   I love peanut butter spread on a banana.  Haven't tried dates though.

2. huntnfish profile image98
      huntnfishposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Bananas, Apples, its great on anything haha, I'm a little obsessed

3. CJ Andrews profile image93
      CJ Andrewsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I will have to post the recipe I make mine with.  I am going to start making an almond butter too.

5. KarlawithaK profile image64
    KarlawithaKposted 5 years ago

I was told by a personal trainer that one of the best post workout snacks was an apple with peanut butter on it. Of course, the reduced sugar kind helps, but the protein is great for your muscles after exertion.

working