jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (10 posts)

Why is jam called jelly in the USA? A peanut butter and jelly sandwich just soun

1. johndetlefs profile image54
    johndetlefsposted 8 years ago

Why is jam called jelly in the USA? A peanut butter and jelly sandwich just sounds weird!

2. sasanqua profile image81
    sasanquaposted 8 years ago

I suppose someone in the States could ask why jelly is called jam in australia. PB & Jelly sandwich doesn't sound weird to Americans.

3. marcofratelli profile image71
    marcofratelliposted 8 years ago

So does "aluminum foil" - God only knows where the extra "i" went. It's aluminium, folks! smile

4. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Jam and jelly are different, at least in the U.S.  Jam is "chunky", having lots of bits of fruit mushed in.  Jelly is strained or something so that it is smooth, and I think has more pectin to make it firmer.

5. ms.truly lovely profile image34
    ms.truly lovelyposted 8 years ago

wHY DO PEOPLE IN OTHER COUNTRIES CALL A SHIRT A BLOUSE , OR A BUGER A BOGIE WE TALK DIFFRENT WHATS WRONG WITH THAT.

6. RunnerJane33 profile image51
    RunnerJane33posted 7 years ago

Yup, if it is made with just the juice, it is jelly. If it is made with the smashed fruit, seeds and all, it is jam. Strawberries make great jam but blackberries do not.

7. goldie77 profile image42
    goldie77posted 7 years ago

I agree - I couldn't get my head around this at first  and kept imagining people eating peanut butter with -oh, you know -proper jelly. Then when I found out it was really jam I finally realised for sure how much Americans distort our language. The thing about the aluminum is just as bad. It's ALUMINIUM.

8. profile image46
    betty sheehanposted 7 years ago

jelly is when you strain the cooked jam with cheesecloth. the seeeds dont get under your denture as easily.

9. Autumn Lynn profile image65
    Autumn Lynnposted 7 years ago

Oh-you guys mentioned the aluminium thing! I am American now living in the Middle East - only right now did I learn that aluminium is NOT the non native speakers mis pronunciation. How many years have I been feeling sorry for those guys and their bad English?  Now I learn you think I am the one with the problem-how funny!

10. lilmizknoitall profile image53
    lilmizknoitallposted 7 years ago

Jam is equivalent to preserves, in which you just cook the fruit and sugar until the natural pectin and sugars cook down.  Jelly is either a strained version of spreadable fruit where you remove seeds and flesh/pulp or can be made with fruit juices only.  Peanut butter & jelly is typically considered inexpensive food as loaves of bread and condiments could last for weeks.  Jelly is a cheaper buy in comparison to preserves because they could be made with only juice, therefore usually it would be peanut butter & jelly.  Most Americans don't pay attention and use the term for a pb & j interchangeably.

working