jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Do you care that there is an Olympic black out?

1. mintinfo profile image74
    mintinfoposted 5 years ago

Do you care that there is an Olympic black out?

You cannot post Olympic material on youtube and all other video sharing sites. Even some news organizations that do not have rebroadcast rights cannot show video in their news feeds. Does it bother you that you have to go to only one or two sources for updated Olympic coverage?

2. Jason Matthews profile image93
    Jason Matthewsposted 5 years ago

Wow, I didn't know about this. It seems kind of strict/harsh to me. I don't feel like it should be so restricted. But I do know that Olympic coverage is a very complex system; I wish I understood it better.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It can be tough finding some events televised at all. The way I understand the contractual rights, athletes don't own performances/coverage up front; but sponsors, countries/govt., NBC, and the IOC do - unlike Hubbers owning Hubs. Very stringent.

3. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years ago

It does not bother me at all. Most of us would not want our original Hubs stolen and re-posted several places, so the Olympic restriction is of the same nature and I respect it.

1. bn9900 profile image80
      bn9900posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Sounds reasonable to me Patty

2. Jason Matthews profile image93
      Jason Matthewsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The only difference is that the athletes (who create the "show") aren't the ones publishing their "content" and do not make any or much money at all (except for the very best). NBC doesn't allow viewers to watch online unless they provided ISP info.

3. mintinfo profile image74
      mintinfoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there is a dichotomy, free access with copy right control. Technology allows a wider reach with more control.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94

NBC has the right to limit access and the Games are not free to enter. Tickets are expensive.

4. CyclingFitness profile image93
    CyclingFitnessposted 5 years ago

I'm glad I didn't take any video of the men's cycling road race now! Although I did take photos which I've published in some of my hubs.

It must be extremely difficult to police such a policy but such a blackout does not have a negative effect on myself. In a way it's good in such an age of information freedom that resources can be held back.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image94

I'm thinking that if they let you in with your camera and video cam, your footage should be OK to use (?). For official AAU-type Taekwondo tournaments, there is often a fee charged for bringing cameras and then you can publish the footage at will.

working