jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Michael Phelps could lose his gold medals for breaking Olympic rules. Is it fair

1. mintinfo profile image76
    mintinfoposted 5 years ago

Michael Phelps could lose his gold medals for breaking Olympic rules. Is it fair?

Olympic rules state that no athlete shall engage in any third party advertising that is not sanctioned by the Olympic organization within a certain time period before and during the Olympics. It has now been revealed that Phelps's agent mistakenly released some sponsor ads and now Phelps could lose his medals. Is it a fair rule?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/7036427_f260.jpg

2. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

Whether it is fair or not, isn't really the point for Phelps.  The rule is in writing and it is the responsibility of the athlete to be sure he or she follows those rules.

Now as to fairness, I suppose they have their reasons and who knows what it would take to change it. Frankly, I thought athletes had to be amateurs so I cannot figure out how our basketball greats can participate in the Olympics.  They definitely need to revamp the rulebook or clarify it.

3. NC4Life078 profile image88
    NC4Life078posted 5 years ago

You can like or hate my thoughts upon this as it may be a controversial issue. But, Michael still partook in those ads, his agent might have accidentally released them, yet, he still knew better.

Some may claim he didn't know, but, would you sign a contract without knowing what you were getting you into? No (unless you’re a fool), in other words he is an Olympian and should have known better, especially on his 3rd time around. A rule is a rule; he shouldn't be so careless in the future about knowing the rules of the Olympics or whatever else he contends in.

Is it fair to take them away as he won them fairly? Perhaps in many eyes the answer is "No", but, again "A rule is a rule" and if the Committee lets him slide where does it end? Perhaps it could eventually lead to the usage of steroids in the Olympics. They will say "Well Michael broke the rules, why can't I?"

I am proud to be an American and not a "communist" for thinking this way. In the end it is unjust for a star Olympian to get away with breaking the rules. If the rules state that the medals will be taken, then so be it. Again, perhaps he will be more careful next time with his career and or who he hires.

*I have not read the story, nor intend to. I am answering upon this question and information alone.

4. olodarkwriter profile image61
    olodarkwriterposted 5 years ago

They took Jim Thorpes medals away and was still voted the greatest athlete of the first half of the 20th century.  Who cares? The people who run the Olympics, the NCAA, the NFL are generally a bunch of hypocrites primarily concerned with their own image. Phelps is the greatest swimmer ever and nobody can change that.

5. Nick Hanlon profile image61
    Nick Hanlonposted 5 years ago

All about the money...I think it's a violation of free speech if this rule is upheld and will bring ridicule upon the Olympics.To take away his medals for a non-swimming issue is just stupid.

6. MickS profile image69
    MickSposted 5 years ago

If he broke the rules, either off his own back or vta his agent, then yes, it is fair that he should lose his medals..  Would you be bleating if, say, it were a Chinese, athlete who had offended in the same way?

7. afriqnet profile image50
    afriqnetposted 5 years ago

I think its a Yes, since every game has its own rules. Even in football a red card is given to even the most disciplined footballer for making silly mistakes.

What happened to Zinedine Zidane at the end of his career?

I think it should be a good way to let sportsmen know there are rules to be followed and must be adhered to.

8. CyclingFitness profile image93
    CyclingFitnessposted 5 years ago

If he signed up to the Olympic ideals then he must follow the rules.

working