jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What was the greatest NBA Finals Series of All Time?

1. Tim Quam profile image59
    Tim Quamposted 4 years ago

What was the greatest NBA Finals Series of All Time?

This year's finals between the Heat and the Spurs has a chance to be only the third seven-game finals in this young century.  What would you say was the most memorable finals in NBA history?

2. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image85
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 4 years ago

In 1984 Bird's Celtics beat Magic's Lakers in 7 games.

The rivalry between those two teams and those two players made for some great finals.

The finals in recent years pale in comparison, in my opinion.

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image85
      BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I'll change my mind. Game 6 and 7 Heat vs Spurs were incredible drama. I mean, they brought the trophy out anticipating near the end of game 6 that the Spurs would win. They didn't, and then lost game 7 in another tense game.

2. Tim Quam profile image59
      Tim Quamposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Game 6 was a classic.  I like your choice of 1984.  After the Lakers played Philadelphia in 1980, '82, and '83; and Boston played Houston in 1981, the Bird-Magic rematch of the 1979 NCAA title game was a long-time coming.

3. lions44 profile image97
    lions44posted 4 years ago

1994 - Knicks vs. Rockets. Although my guys came out on the losing end, the games were mostly good, very close.  The Knicks played ferocious D in those days and did their best to pound Akeem. But he proved too tough. Starks went cold in game 7.  But well played for the most part.

1980 - Sixers vs. Lakers - Made Magic a star when he filled in for Kareem in Game 6. Although it only went 6 games, all except Game 6 were close. Lakers' coach Paul Westhead made the bold request of Magic and he came through. Ironically, it is believed that Magic helped lead the charged to get Westhead fired the next season (Magic denied this).  It was the start of an amazing run by the Lakers that would not end until 1991.

1. Tim Quam profile image59
      Tim Quamposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Olajuwon came out on top in back-to-back NBA Finals against Ewing and Shaquille O'Neal.  That speaks pretty well of him.

working