jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is your opinion of fighting in professional ice hockey?

1. wiserworld profile image93
    wiserworldposted 3 years ago

What is your opinion of fighting in professional ice hockey?

2. amiebutchko profile image89
    amiebutchkoposted 3 years ago

I may not be the most informed person to answer this question, but I dated a hockey player in college and all I know is that mentality of fighting in hockey is cultivated and encouraged from such a young age.  It actually was something the audience celebrated in a game, ingrained in players from much earlier.  I think it is the culture of the sport... but objectively, its really stupid!

3. janshares profile image98
    jansharesposted 3 years ago

Ugh! I love my Sabres but I don't like the fighting. I believe it has become an integral part of the sport that heightens the spectator experience. I also think it allows the players to get out that aggression that builds up as they speed skate 100 mph around that rink. It becomes really scary when someone is hurt badly and their blood is all over the place. I don't like it and it appears that the NHL sanctions it.

4. connorj profile image76
    connorjposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/11907011_f260.jpg

I understand that violence is a last-resort and should be avoided at all costs; yet, most fighting (not all) in the NHL is indeed really a juvenile-like "school playground mentality" code that actually minimizes certain unworthy acts like using your hockey stick on an unlucky soul, kicking with skates on, spitting, etc. the code involves dropping your gloves, taking off your helmet if you are wearing a visor, and literally "dancing about" with your nemesis until one falls down. At this point the fight is at its official end. The code also includes to never hit someone once they are down.   Thus I am favor of keeping fighting in the game as long it follows the code..."

5. Joshua D Reynolds profile image71
    Joshua D Reynoldsposted 3 years ago

Fighting is part of the game that should never be taken away. Yes, there should be rules but for the most part players respect eachother and the game enough to know when to stop. Nothing can change the momentum to a game more than a fight.

working