jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (16 posts)

What do you think about Mike Leach getting fired?

1. Mitch Rapp profile image59
    Mitch Rappposted 7 years ago

Deserved/Not deserved?

Who will replace him?

1. Mrs. Moneypants profile image60
      Mrs. Moneypantsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

He totally deserved to get canned.  What he did was abusive and degrading and stupid.
      Abuse by coaches and teachers was tolerated for decades but now people realize that 1. abuse is wrong, 2. abuse can sometimes be criminal, 3. abusive techniques don't work.
      The football-tough guy community needs to evolve as do football coaches. 
      Thankfully, I think dude was in the minority.

2. IntimatEvolution profile image80
      IntimatEvolutionposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm not sure if it is deserved.  I have a feeling a Texas judge will decide that.  It is hard to say one way or another if you were not there in that moment.  However, I think Texas Tech University has set themselves up for a major defamation lawsuit and by all rights, Mike Leach could very well win. 

Most importantly- how about the players and fans?  I'm more concerned about Texas Tech decisions to make this horrible mess public information right before the bowl game.  $800k for a big 12 Texas team is peanuts in the big scheme of things.  They should have weighted until after the bowl game.  That's my opinion.

Mitch Rappposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I'm sure that Leach looking for some media support leaked this. He has shown himself to be arrogant and unable to take TT to the next level, that is unacceptable in Texas! You can be arrogant and win that is acceptable in Texas!

3. profile image51
      GT Martinposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Concussion or No concussion, as a leader, a coach and as a person he should know better. As a leader he showed his real colors.
      Not a smart move on his part.

2. Mitch Rapp profile image59
    Mitch Rappposted 7 years ago

Leach,fired,Texas Tech anybody?

3. Don W profile image81
    Don Wposted 7 years ago

Who is Mike Leach and why should I care?

He's this guy who used to do this thing, and you probably shouldn't care.

1. Don W profile image81
        Don Wposted 7 years ago in reply to this

ok

4. Michael Willis profile image79
    Michael Willisposted 7 years ago

Sounds like he made the wrong decision with that player. And the player's Dad being Craig James didn't help.
    Just taking in from what I have read and from TV, it sounds like the coach refused to listen to the University in this matter, even when they tried to help him. Locking up a player who has a concussion? Not a good move.

Craig James instrumental in SMU getting the death penalty, they truly were the best Texans money could buy.

1. Michael Willis profile image79
        Michael Willisposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I remember that SMU team...Eric Dickerson/Craig James! What a running back tandem they were.

The Pony Express, and then they didn't see a bowl game for 25 years, but when they finally got to a bowl game they made their presence known!

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago

if the media portrayal is true he deserve to be fired, no way to treat a human being like that

1. profile image54
      Making it happenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If what is being said in the media is true, he had no authority to decide waht needed to happen, especially when a concussion is involved. This isn't basic training and I went to basic training.

6. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image92
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 7 years ago

Regardless of all the nonsense being stirred into the mix, if he in fact punished a player for not wanting to practice with a head injury he deserved to be fired. That's what it boils down to.

It's long past time to start taking concussions seriously.

working