jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)

Longest Tennis Match Ever

1. vanchen profile image84
    vanchenposted 7 years ago

It's happening right now.  55 - 55 in the fifth set.  The fifth set alone has taken almost seven hours, and it's likely they will stop due to darkness.

Your thoughts on this epic?

2. barryrutherford profile image33
    barryrutherfordposted 7 years ago

increedible this is one for the Guiness book of Records !

3. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 7 years ago

This is still going on?  I've already watched Sports Center twice.

4. vanchen profile image84

Suspended again due to darkness.  To be continued tomorrow....

5. mrpopo profile image85
    mrpopoposted 7 years ago

My brother just told me about this, that's insane! And I thought last year's Wimbledon final between Roddick and Federer was a long match!

6. mrpopo profile image85
    mrpopoposted 7 years ago

After starting 17 days ago (Tuesday, actually), play has just been suspended in the longest match in Wimbledon history. American John Isner (above) and Frenchman Nicolas Mahut have bashed the little green ball back and forth for over NINE HOURS on their way to a fifth set that is scored 59-59. The 6-foot-9 man-boy Isner looked like he was going to puke before Mahut's pleading to stop the match was granted. Meanwhile, the announcer on Radio Wimbledon hasn't been to toilet in more than seven hours, and the multitude of live-bloggers have bleeding eyeballs fingers.

While some have asked if it's even legal for a French tennis player to work for more than eight hours at a time (labour law humour! heyooh!), others -- like the aforementioned Guardian live-bloggers -- have more pressing concerns:

"Darkness is falling. This, needless to say, is not a good development, because everybody knows that zombies like the dark. So far in this match they've been comparatively puny and manageable, only eating a few of the spectators in between bashing their serves.

But come night-fall the world is their oyster. They will play on, play on, right through until dawn. Perhaps they will even leave the court during the change-overs to munch on other people. Has Roger Federer left the grounds? Perhaps they will munch on him, hounding him down as he runs for his car, disembowelling him in the parking lot and leaving Wimbledon without its reigning champion. Maybe they will even eat the trophy too."

As play has been suspended due to exhaustion and/or fear of zombie attack, we're pretty sure both Isner and Mahut just want to go home and weep openly at this point. But! In what will surely feel like Groundhog Day: Wimbledon Edition, the two will resume play tomorrow provided both players can still walk and/or hold a racket.

http://www.thecheapseats.ca/2010/06/lon … r-now.html

7. vanchen profile image84

They'll come back fresh tomorrow and probably keep banging serves for another ten or so games - or even more.  It's gonna be very interesting.

I don't either will be very glad to win, though, as they will have to play there second round match tomorrow as well.

8. kingis profile image78
    kingisposted 7 years ago

When I heard about this match on the radio, I thought they were joking.  This tiebraker is absolutely crazy.

9. vanchen profile image84

here we go again...

vanchenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

and its over! Isner wins 70 -68

1. pisean282311 profile image53
        pisean282311posted 7 years ago in reply to this

it was mind blowing..outstanding...out of the world..what a match..unheard, unseen...unbelievable..kudos to both of them...

couldn't of said it better.  a testament to what a great sport tennis is, and the sheer determination that can be had.

10. jondav profile image61
    jondavposted 7 years ago

i'm glad Isner won - but it was silly to play that many games - they should've played a tie break to decide it (although that would probably have lasted 6 weeks too)

1. pisean282311 profile image53
      pisean282311posted 7 years ago in reply to this

5th set tie breaker is allowed in Wimbledon?..guess it is allowed in us open only..i might be wrong..

only at the US.

11. Jen's Solitude profile image85
    Jen's Solitudeposted 7 years ago

Unfortunately I couldn't watch this online as ESPN kept crashing my browser, but I did listen to Wimbledon radio. What a match! Too bad someone had to lose, glad they were awarded special mementos along with the chair umpire.

working