If the NFL Season Ended Today, Would Michael Vick Win the MVP?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (39 posts)
  1. bogerk profile image71
    bogerkposted 13 years ago

He is as important to his team as anyone in the league right now and brings an element to the game that almost no other QB ever has.

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

NO

bogerkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You don't think so? He has the best QB rating in the league. He hasn't thrown an INT. His team is tied for first in their division and he just had one of the Top 5 games a QB has ever had in the NFL, on Monday Night Football no less.

I hate his past as much as the next guy, and I am a big Peyton Manning fan, but there is no one more fun to watch this season than Michael Vick.

2. wavegirl22 profile image48
      wavegirl22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

can you please define what is this element that he brings to the game that no other QB has? 

Sure Vick has talent, but can you just be a bit more specific in your statement?

Well, he just passed for 333 yards and 4 TDs and ran for 80 yards and 2 TDs. No player, QB or otherwise, in the history of the NFL has ever done that before.

2. I am DB Cooper profile image63
        I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No other QB has the combination of passing ability and speed that Vick has. That's the unique element he brings to the game. Opponents have to prepare for a QB run even when he drops back to pass, which just causes chaos. He seems to have refined his passing ability, so teams are no longer baiting him into throwing the ball.

3. wavegirl22 profile image48
      wavegirl22posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I retract my question . I watched last nights game. .and the guy absolutely blew me away. I also saw his press conference,

and I stand and applaud him ..

2. hubzer profile image61
    hubzerposted 13 years ago

If your watching this Monday nights game HE has my vote.

Yeah - That was insanity.

3. profile image0
    bluetiger1520posted 13 years ago

I think he should along with some money.

4. Nicky Page profile image59
    Nicky Pageposted 13 years ago

Michael Vick is on fire right now, yes, he would win the MVP. Tonight he threw four touchdown passes, an 88 yarder to DeSean Jackson, and ran for two scores, making the Eagles a 59-28 victory. Who does that? Seriously.

5. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Amazing job he did last night, and that was for the records!

For me, he is the Most Improved Promising Player! (do they have that, hehe)

But MVP, it is still too early to tell specially for a 16 games league. He missed also some games, and in choosing MVP stat counts a lot.

6. chip22 profile image59
    chip22posted 13 years ago

Yep, If the season ended now, I don't see who else could be the MVP.

7. Ron Montgomery profile image62
    Ron Montgomeryposted 13 years ago

More importantly, can he show some humility and get more out of this second chance than accolades from sports writers?  Can he put the same effort into championing animal rights causes?

He better be thanking Tony Dungy daily.

1. Mikeydoes profile image44
      Mikeydoesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

He's thanking everyone by playing his butt off and doing whatever it takes to be the best.

As of now, no he should not get the MVP. Missed too many games this far. If he finishes out the season with half of the performance of yesterday he will be in the running big time, thats for sure.

The thing is, there is so much game left to be played, someone else might step up.

8. I am DB Cooper profile image63
    I am DB Cooperposted 13 years ago

Well, he's only played about 4.5 out of a possible 9 games, so it would be hard to make him the MVP right now. If he stays on the pace he's at, however, and can complete the rest of the season with no injuries, then yes, he probably would be my MVP pick. He's 4-0 in games where he started and played the whole game.

9. jobister profile image60
    jobisterposted 13 years ago

He should win the MVP depending on how far into the season the eagles go this year. Yes it is a contract year for him and he is playing not like the Michael Vick we've known in the past. The eagles are a better offensive team with him than without that much is clear, but if he doesn't win games in the playoffs then he would be just another overrated QB.

10. zatchj62 profile image62
    zatchj62posted 13 years ago

Did anybody see DeSean Jackson's post-game comments?  "We were like Pit Bulls."  HAHA classic.  Anyways, if it ended today I think he would, but the guy still only had a 56% completion rate (approx.) before the Redskins game.  The elites get up past 65 or 66%.  One thing I've noticed about this season is that he keeps plays alive, but he decides not to sprint off right away.  Instead, Vick waits for something to develop and guns it in there.  A perfect example of this would be Jason Avant's TD catch in the back of the endzone last night.  Vick scrambles away, then he throws it into about a 4 or 5 foot window (the MNF guys did a replay on that and Michael had like 8 seconds to throw it on that play...CRAZY!!!).  The old Vick's first instinct would be to run it in.

11. LakeShow T profile image73
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

Yes. Michael Vick would win league MVP. Sportswriters vote for the MVP in many sports. I assume that is how it also goes in the NFL. With that in mind, sportswriters are always looking for how to create the greatest story. In such a season with such parity throughout the NFL and a lack of standout performances, Michael Vick would win the award if the voting were held today and will almost certainly win it if he remains healthy and the Eagles make the playoffs. There's just nobody else who can reasonably contend when looking at everything right now. There are no QB's who are putting up outstanding numbers on a team that is a head above the rest. Heck, there is not even a standout team at this point. there are also no running backs threatening to reach the 2,000 yard mark. For now it is Vick's award to lose. He has not even turned the ball over yet this season. I just saw interviews from many of the NY Giants players and they sound downright afraid of him for this coming weekend and they are a great defensive team. With how he is playing right now, how in the heck do you defend against this guy?

12. CYBERSUPE profile image60
    CYBERSUPEposted 13 years ago

Today a big "YES".  One heck of a game againist McNabb and Washington Redskins.

13. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years ago

Absolutely.

14. kingis profile image69
    kingisposted 13 years ago

Vick is having a great season and if Philadelphia goes far in the playoffs it is due to his outstanding play.

15. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 13 years ago

Three words: "prisoner of the moment." That's what everyone is suffering from right now. He has only played in half the games. Why don't we just give the MVP to DeAngelo Hall for his record-tying four interceptions in one game against the Bears?

I mean these redemption stories are nice and all, but sometimes people just get too carried away... there are two guys named Manning and Brady still in the league, right?

1. LakeShow T profile image73
      LakeShow Tposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There were already MVP talks regarding Vick before his big game against Washington. That game merely intensified the discussion.

1. rotl profile image61
        rotlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If he gets it, it will be because of ESPN/media hype, period.

16. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73

ESPN hype never hurts, but if he gets it, it will be because he continued playing at a level head and shoulders above any other QB or offensive player this season. Which is exactly what he has been doing thus far.

1. rotl profile image61
      rotlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Have you seen Brady play this year? Or Manning's stats despite playing with his practice squad?

Let's see if Vick can keep this up for 7 more games... that is if he doesn't get hurt again... or maybe he should get hurt so we can just give him the MVP now for his one game performance. And I'm sorry but no one was really talking about him as an MVP candidate before the Redskins game... he hadn't played in over a month!

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've seen both of them play every week and I've also seen Vick outplay them so far this season. And the talk has picked up after that game, but he was being mentioned as an MVP candidate  back in September.

It goes without saying that he has to keep it up for 7 more games, but that wasn't the question.

1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
          I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To be fair, since that Sports Illustrated article in September Vick has missed 3 games and barely played in one other. That's nearly 1/4 of the season. He's going to have to play at a very high level the rest of the season and not miss any more games to have serious MVP consideration.

17. S Leretseh profile image60
    S Leretsehposted 13 years ago

I gamble on football quite extensively.  I can tell you from a gambler's perspective, which would of course take into account many things other than entertainment value, Vick is and always has been a difficult to one to gauge. Historically, he is a notoriously bad passer. He has a career passing/ completing percentage of only about 55%.  Compare that to P.Manning at 65%. He has a very effective running game. However, no running Q has ever led his team into the Super Bowl. He's not a tall Q. In fact he's only about 5"10'.  That's small. His stature requires him to drop deep into the pocket, which increases the yardage he must throw to complete a pass, as well as increases the amount of time to make the pass. Over the long run these two factors will hurt his offensive production - always have.

Bottom line: Vick has a lot of minuses, and one very BIG plus (his running). Gamblers have historically played against Vick (including me). Vick's notorious inconsistency, if history is to be our guide (rather than raw emotion)should reveal itself in the next game or two. In fact, Vick is playing a good defensive team on Monday.  The books are giving the standard -3 for a home team where the teams are comparable stats. wise. My opinion, tho, is that this line is way too generous for the Giants. Likely,fans are heavy on this gm based on emotion, not historical facts. Books love this type of betting. I think the wiseguys (the ones with the big bank rolls) are hesitating on this one only because Vick has performed well outside of his historical stats.  But his historical stats. are what they are. Ten straight days of rain in the desert doesn't mean it's time to re-write the rain charts.  Vick's stats. tell us there is going to be a "correction" coming. In fact, look for Giants to win the game.  Vick will likely not put up more than 10 points in this one. E. Manning, career stats wise, is also a better passing Q.

Yeah, everyone knows Vick has traditionally been a sub-par passer prior to this season. That was years ago.  The thing is that he has matured now in every which way-- which also means he is now a harder worker, pays more attention to film and has a greater knowledge of the position, he practices better, pays greater attention-to-detail, and has a better attitude. So what if his completion percentage  is 10% less than Peyton Manning before this year. Because of his improved-maturity, he is leading the NFL in passer-rating this season by far with a rating of 115.1. That's one of the best passer-ratings of all-time.

18. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 13 years ago

All the talk about Vick being an MVP is a little bit too soon; yes he's very good and is looking like a different player this year, not running on instinct, but looking for more than one 'receiver' for a change. There's no doubt that he will do well for the rest of the season, but for me the accolades really should go to the coaching staff - firstly they took a huge gamble to even 'hire' Vick, and then they have found a way to balance his running ability with his throwing - he's transformed into a decent QB - but put him up against the Giants defense this weekend and it's a different ball game - if he throws 5 TD passes against the Giants then give him the MVP there and then! Otherwise lets wait a few more games! I note that I am an Eagles fan, but I'm not getting carried away just yet!

19. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

i changed my mind....yes he should. big_smile

20. LakeShow T profile image73
    LakeShow Tposted 13 years ago

What he does against the Giants on Sunday will go a long way in determining his MVP candidacy. He's certainly had a lot of hype going into the game. It will be interesting to see if he is able to play within himself or if he trys to force things in order to continue to live up to the great play he has exhibited and the praise he has received thus far, especially after this past Monday.

21. rotl profile image61
    rotlposted 13 years ago

Good thing we didn't award the MVP to Vick last week. Can we please cool it on the "Vick for MVP" talk now!

22. hubzer profile image61
    hubzerposted 13 years ago

Your right much we have more football to be played,but  he did not hurt his Candidacy with the win over the GMEN.Was it me or did they put butter on the ball last night? cheers Hubzer

23. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73

If the season ended today (and barring something odd happening in the next two weeks), Tom Bradyb is the MVP. Vick will probably get Comeback Player of the Year.

Agreed.  When this thread started a month ago most of us did believed Vick was most deserving of the award at that time. The funny thing is that his play has still been at a high M.V.P. caliber level, but what Tom Brady has done what that team since they unloaded Randy Moss has been epic. And outside of Wes Welker, he has done it with players who were not even in the NFL before this season and players who we had not heard of for many years. With that said, Brady will likely win the award once again and Vick will finish second. Whoever finished 3rd will likely finish a very distant 3rd.

1. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image73
        EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I still think Vick is playing at an MVP level if Brady wasn't playing even better at this point. Brady has just stepped it up. Replacing Moss with Branch probably has had a lot to do with that.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)