jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (11 posts)

Beijing olympics 2008

1. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 9 years ago

Your favorite teams and players?China as always with so many medals......what you think?

1. profile image47
      deadplayerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That means China are becoming stronger.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 9 years ago

Well, I'm rooting for Canada but we haven't won any medals...yet.
    I expect we will get some in rowing.

1. AngieRyan profile image52
      AngieRyanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

We have three medals. Female wrestlers came to the rescue ad secured one gold and one silver for Canada. Men's pair rowing is the third medal we have - bronze. There's a great thread on Performance of Canadian Athletes in Beijing on Alberta Stars that looks at the issue closely with some very good points.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image95
    Rochelle Frankposted 9 years ago

I like seeing the individual events more than the team sports- really looking forward to the track and field competitions this week.

Also, seeing the friendship between competitors of many countries is always inspiring.

I suppose in ancient  Greek times when there were no  anthems, no flags, no uniforms -- no clothes  at all --  it might have been more about the individual  accomplishment. Of course ,no women could compete-- or even watch then.

High Def is awesome-- almost like being in China! Go Humans!

4. SparklingJewel profile image77
    SparklingJewelposted 9 years ago

I thought the opening night was spectacular! 2000 doing TaiChi together...beautifully powerful! 2000 drumming together was fantastic! The whole program was WOW big_smile

5. Uninvited Writer profile image84
    Uninvited Writerposted 9 years ago

Yes, watching the wrestler during the playing of the national anthem had me sobbing smile

6. Rik Ravado profile image91
    Rik Ravadoposted 9 years ago

We Brits are somewhat confused by our success.  We are used to loosing at sport and our olympics medal tally is usually quite modest.  At present we are third in the medal table with 17 golds.  Our Australian friends, who delight in mocking the 'poms' and our poor sporting performance, are reeling under their relatively low medal count.

Our 'trick' is to dominate in sports like cycling, sailing, rowing etc.  If only we could do the same to the Aussies at Cricket!

7. britneydavidson profile image59
    britneydavidsonposted 9 years ago

China and US are by far the best teams when it comes to Olympics. I agree with Rik Ravado that We Brits are confused and hence we have only 17 in our tally so far. But thanks to god that australians are behind us in the medal tally so far.

8. TravelMonkey profile image59
    TravelMonkeyposted 9 years ago

My favourite aspect of the Olympics were the opening and closing ceremonies, truly spectacular.

I hope London can even come close to what we witnessed

9. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 9 years ago

CHINA IS A BIG COUNTRY IN TERMS OF POPULATION AND AREA.  ITS PEOPLE WERE KEPT IN STRICT SECLUSION BEFORE 1949. THEY WERE UNAWARE OF THE HAPPENINGS IN THE OUTSIDE WORLD. EVEN NOW, POLITICALLY, THERE IS NO PLACE FOR A COMMON MAN TO EXPRESS HIS VIEWS ON THE DESTINY OF THEIR NATION. EVERYTHING IS LOOKED AFTER BY THE RULING CLASS.  NO POLITICAL PARTY... NO POLITICAL ACTIVITY... GEOGRAPHICALLY ALSO, ITS BORDERS ARE MORE OR LESS SEALED BY MOUNTAINS, OCEAN, AND EVEN HOSTILE NEIGHBOURS LIKE JAPAN, RUSSIA AND INDIA.  FOR THESE REASONS, THE GOVERNMENT HAS TO KEEP THEIR PEOPLE ENGAGED ALWAYS IN SOMETHING LIKE SPORTS, ARTS, ETC. AS COMMUNISTS, THERE IS NO RELIGION. NOTHING CAN BE MENTIONED ABOUT THEIR LITERATURE.  ONLY SPORTS IS THE BEST ENGAGEMENT FOR CHINESE PEOPLE AND THAT GOVERNMENT RELY ON SPORTS TO KEEP ITS PEOPLE ALWAYS ENGAGED. AND SPORTS IS THE ONLY "AS IS WHERE AS" ENGAGEMENT.
              V.SIVAGNANAM, KALPAKKAM, TAMILNADU, INDIA.

working