Shaquille O'Neal is retiring from the NBA. What are your thoughts?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 12 years ago

Whether you love or hate the guy, Shaq has finally decided to call it quits after a long 19 year career.  And what a career it's been.  Say what you want about Shaq but at the top of his game, he was arguably the most dominant big man of his generation.  Not only was he the strongest player on the court, he was also quick too; which made him a inevitable nightmare for anyone to try to stop in his prime. 

Unfortunately, since his fallout with Kobe and the Lakers, he's been going a bit downhill since.  Sure, he had some moderate success as he helped Dwayne Wade win a title in Miami a few years back.  However, he was traded away when the two superstars had a serious disagreement over some of Shaq's work ethics.  On the Suns, he was more of a determent to the team, as his slow post of up style was completely wrong for the Suns' up tempo style offense.  Then when he got to Boston to try to take one last shot at a ring, he was plaqued with injuries.

What seldom people don't know is that Shaq lost about 35 pounds this season, as he desperately tried to get back into playing shape because he wanted to help Boston win another ring.  Hell, he took several shots to try to get his achilles healed, and attended hours of rehab.  Even those who dare question shaq's work ethic would be impressed by how much effort he put trying to get back on the court to help the Celtics, but his achiles injury was too great for him to overcome.  When being told that the only solution would be surgery, and it would take about nine months to fully recover from it, Shaq decided it would be best to just say goodbye.  He didn't want to hold Boston hostage again waiting for him to come back, so he decided to announce his retirement today.  Here's the link for more details:

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/ne … id=6615886

What are you're thoughts on this?  How will you remember Shaquille O'Neal?  A great player?  A over rated one?  A humanitarian?  An all around great personality?  Or what?

1. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is great news!.... i thought he passed away 3 years ago

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol Nah, he's still alive.  Although I know his career is dead in the NBA now.  lol

2. bgamall profile image68
      bgamallposted 12 years agoin reply to this

One of the all time greats. Most likely in the top 20 of all time.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

all around great personality, he can make me laugh, he is into charity as well and too dominant, yes during his prime.

Overall he is a good example of a good player with a good personality!

2. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

Great career. Does he go into the hall of fame as a Laker

1. profile image0

that's a good question.  I think he should because most of his success was with the Lakers, so I think it's only fair that he'd go into the hall of fame being portrayed when he was at the top of his career.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Retiring is a good thing for him and the NBA. That's my only thoughts on the subject. lol

4. LakeShow T profile image74
    LakeShow Tposted 12 years ago

- I'll remember ShaQ for when he entered the NBA and started DOMINATING in his first season. His combination of size and agility was almost unseen prior to that. He would only get bigger. I remember him tearing down a couple of backboards. I think he was the reason the NBA added extra reinforcements to prevent basketball goals from being torn down. I also remember I was a kid at the time and had to run out to buy all the ShaQ rookie cards I could find. Too bad the card market crashed for good around that time.

- I'll remember when ShaQ and Penny teamed up and got past the Bulls in the playoffs when Jordan came back. The Magic went on to the Finals and got swept after Nick Anderson choked away a bunch of free throws at the end of game 1.

- I'll remember the move to the Lakers and how he was indefensible during the Laker Championship 3-peat of 2000-2002. There was no one or two players who could stop him. I'll remember his massive games in the NBA Finals.

- I think the Lakers traded him at precisely the right time, as he started trending downward after that.

- I think he really dragged his career averages down by sticking around so long. When people look back at his career averages, they will not realize how unstoppable and dominant this guy was for the first 10 years of his career.

- I think we'll be seeing a lot more of ShaQ. Perhaps he would join the TNT crew with EJ, Charles, and Kenny. That would be awesome. Just throwing that out there.

1. profile image0

No argument there. I think Shaq should become a commentator on TNT, as I can definitely see his personality meshing well with Charles Barkley, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson. 

I think Shaq was a great ambassador of the game for a while after Jordan retired from the Bulls for the second time, but you're right he did stay longer than he probably should've.  Then again, you can pretty much say that about most legends in sports.  Look at Brett Favre, he obviously should've stayed retired when he told the Packers that he was going to.  Or at least retired, after he had that one great season with Minnesota.  However, it's not our legacy to decide, so he stayed longer than he probably should've. 

However, I'm sure Shaq's down years won't impact his legacy one bit, as people have short attention spans, and I doubt most young fans will care enough to research it anyway, since sports analysts will only talk about Shaq when he was at the top of his game anyway.

Take a look at Mahamad Ali.  Nobody ever talks about the fight he had when he got beat up by Larry Holmes in the ring, after Ali was already way past his prime.  No, sports commentators never even bring it up and if they do, it's rare.  Same thing with other legends like Joe Montana.  Nobody ever talks about his down years with the Chiefs, but you'll notice sports analysts will brag like hell about his years with the 49ers instead. 

Or what about Michael Jordan?  Whenever they talk about him, they only mention his years with the Bulls, yet you rarely hear about his years with the Wizards.  Or if you want to go way back into sports history, nobody ever talks about Babe Ruth's years with the Braves, as he was at the down fall of his career when he joined them.  However, you do hear people obsessively bring up his glory days with the Yankees though.  It's funny on how history has a way of remembering certain things.  The point is fifty years from now, the only thing you'll hear sports analysts and writers talk about when it comes to shaq is when he was at the top of his game and nothing more.  Therefore, I doubt his down years will hurt his legacy if at all.

5. LakeShow T profile image74

I entirely agree with you in what you are saying about legacies and all of your examples. What I'm getting at is this: For instance in the other thread in these forums where we are ranking the top 10 players of all-time. A lot of people just becoming familiar with the game, or those who view ShaQ 20 years from now, would probably take a look at his career averages of 23.7 pts and 10.9 rebounds and assess his career on those merits. Their's a fair number of players who have done that. What they'd be missing however is that ShaQ averaged around 27-28pts and around 12-13 rebounds per game during his first 10 years. Those numbers are SUPER-ELITE. The last 9 years of ShaQ's career watered down his stats quite a bit and make it so people in the future would have a hard time realizing how dominant this guy was.

Guys like Magic and Bird basically got out right away and had very little time where their numbers were watered down. When you look at their numbers, what you see is an accurate assessment of their careers. You could say the same for Jordan, who really only had two watered down seasons, which I would say is about standard. ShaQ had 8-9 years of decline. That's a lot.

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

Top 15 player and maybe top 10. Shaquille when he was young was unstoppable.  Loved those Laker teams.

7. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

omg shaq would double tnt's ratings. i think shaq and sir charles would bump heads alot and it would make great tv.

8. LakeShow T profile image74

I think ShaQ's retirement party/press conference today was nice. It also brought back a lot of good memories of his career. He did say he would go into the Hall of Fame as a Laker, although it is worth noting that I do not think players go into the Hall of Fame attached to a specific team in the basketball HOF.

After all of these memories of ShaQ, I have moved him up one spot on my all-time top 10 ahead of Hakeem, who I also think was outstanding:

1 - MJ
    2 - Wilt
    3 - Kareem
    4 - Magic
    5 - Kobe
    6 - Bird
    7 - ShaQ
    8 - Hakeem
    9 - Russell
    10 - Duncan

9. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 12 years ago

the all time list thing is fun to argue but hard to list. If shaq played against wilt of kaj he would of knocked them around. There wasnt any centers like shaq when they played and the dream would of held his own against wilt and possible tooken out kareem.duncan top 10 is a stretch especially when he wasnt better then robinson

10. Richard83 profile image69
    Richard83posted 12 years ago

I believe he was the best center that ever played. When he was in his prime, he couldn't be stopped. Even at a later age, he still played good. He did good this year until he was hurt. He put up a few double doubles recently, including a game with 27 points and 17 boards.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)