jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (11 posts)

Newcastle United - Back In Europe?

1. charmike4 profile image81
    charmike4posted 5 years ago

When Newcastle in 6th position in the EPL how many amoung us think that they can hold on to play again in Europe.

As we are in the final weeks of the League it appears that Man U will take out the Premiership again followed by Man City, Arsenal or Spurs with Chelsa or Newcastle in 5th or 6th. What's your predictions?

1. JKenny profile image90
      JKennyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well, Newcastle have just beaten Swansea, to move up to fifth. They could definitely get a Champions League spot, I'd love for them to do it, after all of the problems they've had over the last few years.

I reckon Man Utd will win the league, City second, Arsenal third, Spurs fourth, Newcastle fifth then Chelsea.

charmike4posted 5 years agoin reply to this

It wasn't a pretty game (I just watched a replay) for Newcastle but Swansea just couldn't find a way to score after dominating possession. Cisse two opportunitisic goals were the difference. Let's hop you are right JKenny & the Toon grab a Champions League spot (but Europa League would be OK as well).

1. JBastow profile image77
          JBastowposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I have said from the start of the season that Newcastle will finish top four and I am still strongly supporting that statement. I believe that firstly we must get a win tomorrow at home against Bolton and also a win against Chelsea is crucial. If we manage to beat Chelsea i don't see why we cannot push for fourth because i don't believe that Spurs are as strong now as they were at the start of the year. In Newcastle's last six games we have picked up 13points and Spurs have only picked up 6points which is very poor for a team of their standard. As long as Newcastle beat Chelsea and keep picking up points i can definitely see us pinching that fourth spot.     
                       Keep believing!

PS - You're a follower of the Toon so ill definitely bee clicking the follow button!

Thanks JBastow, yes I'm a toon fan as well. I mainly watch from Afar being in Australia but am planning a UK trip in late 2013 so am hoping to see a few Newcastle games and a stack of Newcastle Brown. Will follow you as well!

2. tom_caton profile image81
        tom_catonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

almost right! it did seem a safe enough bet for a while

Europa league football is a start for Newcastle, let's hope for a long campaign.

To be successful (which I hope we are), Newcastle are going to have to bring allot of new players in to increase the size of our squad because it is very likely that we will get lots of injuries with the sheer amount of midweek games we will have. I also hint that we need to buy some central defenders because if captain collo gets injured or Steven taylor does, we will seriously leak goals at the back as in my opinion Williamson is too much of a reliability at the back. On a brighter note we've got marveaux to play next season and allot of the youngsters are coming back from their loan spells so this should help increase the squads depth.

An example of a team that struggled because of the amount of games would be stoke city last season.

Agree with you - Stoke were great last year but lack depth this year to play so many games. Let's hope the boss open's the cheque book!

working