Breast augmentation Surgery
Breast Augmentation is a cosmetic surgery procedure that uses implants to provide fuller breasts to women who think their breast size is too small or want to restore breast volume after weight reduction or pregnancy.
Breast augmentation surgery is the third most popular cosmetic surgery procedure. It can be practised under local or general anaesthetics.
Why do women want to increase the size of their breasts?
The most common motivation for breast enlargements is the desire to look better, a desire to increase confidence and satisfaction with one’s look. In some cases breast implants are also used to reconstruct a breast after mastectomy or injury.
Breast Augmentation information at a glance:
Technical name: Mammaplasty
Surgery time: On average, 1 hour
Clinic stay: On average, 8-24 hours
Pre-operative exams: Lab exams and mammogram
Post-operative care: Bandage during the first 24 hours after surgery; avoid sleeping "face-down" for 10 days after surgery
Recuperation period: One to two weeks.
Who shouldn’t have a Breast enlargement?
Altering your body shape has very deep consequences on your self perception. Not everybody is psychologically prepared to have their physical appearance changed through cosmetic surgery. In general the following people should avoid any type of cosmetic surgery without psychological approval:
- People with chronic depression, eating disorders or problems with auto mutilation because they have a distorted view of their body.
- People who want to increase their breast size because their partner wants them to do it.
People over 50 years old are discouraged to have breast enhancement surgery, mainly because of the dangers attached to having any type of surgery.
Who should have breast enlargement surgery?
Breast augmentation is advisable to people with realistic expectations. Bear in mind that breast enlargement surgery can:
- Increase fullness and projection of your breasts.
- Enhance your self-image and self-confidence.
- Equilibrate the size of the breast to those women who have one breast noticeably larger than the other one.
- Improve the balance of your figure.
Breast enhancement pills
To meet the needs of different patients, breast implants come in different shapes.
Types of Breast Implants:
A breast implant is a silicone shell filled with either standard silicone gel, cohesive gel or a salt-water solution known as Saline. Each has its own benefits and drawbacks. You should ask your doctor to explain you what type of breast implant he is going to use as they require different after care.
What else you should know about breast enlargements?
- Breast implants won't prevent your breasts from sagging after pregnancy or with age.
- If you have a baby after your breast augmentation surgery you might find breast-feeding more challenging.
- Mammograms may be more complicated.Additional views are necessary when obtaining images of your breasts. The quality of the mammogram will depend on the experience and expertise of your technician and the facility you select.
- Your breast implants might need changed after some time. Up to now, there is not much reliable information on the duration of breast implants.
- Breast implants can rip, deflate or rupture causing the implant to collapse, deflating the size of your breast. This may result in breasts that are noticeably different in size or in a change to the cosmetic appearance of your breast, such as sagging or wrinkling.
- Capsular contracture can occur in some cases which is a rare condition where fibrous scar tissue forms a capsule around the breast implant building up over time constricting the implant and causing pain. Surgery is usually necessary to correct capsular contracture.
Breast Augmentation Surgery:
There are several methods to insert and position breast implants. It all depends on your anatomy. The incision can be made:
1) In the crease where the breast meets the chest,
2) In the armpit or around the areola - the dark skin surrounding the nipple.
3) Additional incisions might be necessary if there is skin laxity, usually resulting from previous pregnancies.
Breast augmentation prices
a lot depending on the surgeon, the clinic, the type of implants used and the
country where you are having your surgery.
For example an approximate costfor breast
implants in. Canada
is around $5000. While in America the
average Breast augmentation prices range from $4,000 to $10,000.
Plastic Surgeon Referral Service
- ASPS Find a Member Surgeon in your area.
Welcome to the Plastic Surgeon Referral Service, a free offering provided by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons® (ASPS®). All of the surgeons listed through this service are board-certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Choose a surgeon you can trust
Choosing a qualified Surgeon ensures that you have selected a physician who:
- Has completed at least five years of surgical training with a minimum of two years in plastic surgery.
- Is trained and experienced in all plastic surgery procedures, including breast, body, face and reconstruction.
- Operates only in accredited medical facilities
- Adheres to a strict code of ethics.
Silicone breast enhancers
It is your body and having a breast augmentation procedure is a big step. Do not be embarrassed to ask questions. You are paying for your surgeon’s time and he should answer all your doubts.
A good surgeon will patiently explain the procedure and the pros and cons to you.
Also remember that, for long lasting results, it is important to maintain your weightand keep a healthy lifestyle.
Would you go for breast enlargement surgery?
- Vaginal Rejuvenation
Vaginal rejuvenation surgery is a procedure used to restore vaginal tone and appearance by removing excess tissue and tightening vaginal muscles. Vaginal cosmetic surgery is becoming as fashionable as...
- Cosmetic surgery, the search for perfection
According to the Guinness book of World records the American Cindy Jackson is the person who has had the most cosmetic surgery procedures. With 52 recorded cosmetic surgery procedures, Ms. Jackson has broken all the rules and preconceptions about cos