jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is it good to mix Aromatherapy Essential Oils into Body Creams?

1. Lady_E profile image76
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

Is it good to mix Aromatherapy Essential Oils into Body Creams?

2. profile image59
    foreignpressposted 7 years ago

Much depends on whether the oils can be absorbed by the skin. Some oils are harmful and, once they enter the bloodstream, can cause serious health problems. It all depends on where you live. In the United States, manufacturers are forced to say on labels if a product is toxic. Other countries don't have these laws. So to be safe, if the aromatherapy oils aren't already mixed into the body cream then I wouldn't put them in.

3. greenvalley profile image56
    greenvalleyposted 7 years ago

There are many ways to use essential oils and creams together (go here for some recipes https://www.57aromas.com/kb/browse/skincare) and you might also want to consider using hydrosol and creams as hydrosols are water soluble.

Essential oils that are wonderful for skincare include: lavender, sandalwood, palmarosa, geranium, chamomile and patchouli.

Here is a link to another article on essential oils and skincare
    http://aromatherapy.suite101.com/articl … _skincare.

4. profile image0
    Germaine Reillyposted 7 years ago

Many creams, lotions and toiletries come with essential oils. So absolutely! The advantages of adding yourself is that you control what goes in. On a day when you're feeling low in energy, bergamot or grapefruit mixed into a body cream can give you a boost, or if you want to relax, a few drops of vetiver or frankinsence will help you wind down. I find fragrance free creams/shampoos/conditioners etc the best, since in effect you're getting a blank canvass.

5. wearing well profile image76
    wearing wellposted 7 years ago

The right percentage of essential oil is extremely important when mixing into a cream/lotion or carrier oil.
    i.e.100ml of base or body cream will require no more than 12% of essential oil;so up to a combination of no more than 12 drops and also no more than 3 different pure essential oils to be used.
    I would recommend that you decanter a small batch of cream and mix freshly each time you're going to apply it to your skin;then you would only need a couple of drops of pure essential oil on each full body application.It's great to be able to mix your own bespoke products but do be careful as these substances are powerful natural substances and can still cause irritation and allergies with some sensitive skins!
    P.S. Never mix with a mineral oil/baby oil as these are synthetically produced and are not absorbed into the skin.
    It is also essential to check if the cream contains essential oils as well.
    If you do create your own skin care blend then keep it in the fridge in an air tight container and its' therapeutic properties will be prolonged for 3 months:)

6. profile image48
    missmelindajposted 6 years ago

working