How much does age plays a part in joining in new trends?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (14 posts)
  1. davenmidtown profile image66
    davenmidtownposted 12 years ago

How much does age plays a part in joining in new trends?

2. KathrynCWheat profile image59
    KathrynCWheatposted 12 years ago

I don't think age should play any part. When talking about fashion, if you like something, I think there are age appropriate levels to embrace it.

3. hoteltravel profile image64
    hoteltravelposted 12 years ago

Physical age of a person is immaterial for embracing new trends. It depends more on the mental age.

4. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 12 years ago

There comes a time in life when you realize you are not young any more, and that you need to dress more age appropriately. I am sure it is different for every one. That doesn't mean you have to give up all trends, but just those that make you look ridiculous. Grandma in a mini - depends!

5. thoughtwoman profile image59
    thoughtwomanposted 12 years ago

I think age has less to do with it. I think it is more insecurities that lead people to follow trends so that they appear to part of the in crowd. That, plus if one has the money to keep up with trends, then you also appear to be rich, even if you have a ton of credit card debt.

6. Pamela N Red profile image84
    Pamela N Redposted 12 years ago

Young people are more open to new things because everything is new to them. Older people tend to be more cautious and not always interested in change.

Being open to change and learning new things keeps our mind young and active. Active minds stay young.

7. aristine profile image60
    aristineposted 12 years ago

Yes, it does. When you're younger, like some people have already said, the older you are, the more experienced you are, and you are more careful. The younger you are, you're more curious and tend to try out new things. Now, when you get to like.. teen ages, you're bound to try and fit in with everyone, or else you might not really fit in with the crowd and .. sometimes, you can be picked on):
    It's also the attitude, to either blend with the crowd or just be who you are. Many teenagers like to keep up with trends (especially girls ^^ ) cause.. fashion is either "in", and everyone does that or "out".

8. profile image51
    amanakhloehogueposted 12 years ago

I really like to take a part in new trends, but lately I've only follwed a trend that works for me, like the Harem Pants. I love them, and they play up my curves a lot. I have a play pair that I wore to work the other day, and everybody LOVED it. I don't think age has to do with anything, as long as you can wear it right.

9. gardengrowmadeezy profile image60
    gardengrowmadeezyposted 12 years ago

Personally trend's have never even caught my eye no matter my age. I have never been a follower though. Joining trends seems to me it is more about following what everyone else is doing, rather than a person's age. Maybe when we are real young and not yet confident in ourselves,then following everyone else or joining a trend allows us to be part of the crowd, or the team.
    A trend does not mean clothing only. It could be any trend. Like right now in this day and age. It is the trend to tweet, twitter, face book etc. Not trying to be insulting to anyone, trust me if it rings your bell, have at it. I cannot think of many things more boring than what texting, tweeting,or any of the instant social media things are to me. Maybe watching paint dry, but that would be a close second. Age has nothing to do with whether I'd join a trend or not.

10. shama khan profile image61
    shama khanposted 12 years ago

It do not depend on the age , its a matter of heart, if your heart is young and full of thrill then you can play at the age of 60s and if your heart is sad and dull then it can't.

11. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 12 years ago

It depends upon the trend in question.  If it is fashions, or googy stuff like "planking," then yes, I think youngsters are probably more likely to join in.

If it is some device, such as cell phones, or e-readers, then I think age is irrelevant over the long haul, although the young are more likely to be the first to accept and become proficient at thngs like texting and using their cell-phone cameras, GPS capabilities, and so forth, while the older generation may become more easily comfortable with e-readers and other technlogoy of that ilk.  (Since we seem to have raised a generation of non-readers...)

12. profile image53
    subtalkposted 12 years ago

I really don't see age make a big different,lots of trends.wear it with confident.

13. Smart is Good profile image60
    Smart is Goodposted 12 years ago

I think age plays a very important part, just because when you're young you're still trying to find your own identity and you experiment with everything new and everything you think looks cool just to try to find yourself in the way. When you grow older you realise that there's no need to follow trends to be different you just wear whatever you want to wear, not what fashion industry and celebrities say is IN.

14. Etherealenigma profile image69
    Etherealenigmaposted 12 years ago

It plays a part, because as you age, you realize that "trends" are not all that important. If it is trends regarding your business, that's different. You want to pay attention to those. But if you are just talking about societal trends...you will eventually (hopefully) mature to a point in which you will age out of even paying attention to them, because you realize that they do not govern your life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)