How can I break into the makeup industry?

1. JMLC profile image61
    JMLCposted 5 years ago

How can I break into the makeup industry?

I have a BA in Psychology and I am having a difficult time finding work. I feel like I should explore a different avenue, and I have a passion for makeup. Anyone know how to become a makeup artist. I know that makeup artistry does not require formal training but I do not know how to get started.

2. profile image0
    paxwillposted 5 years ago

Actually, cosmetologists do have to be licensed, the regulations vary by state however.  Many community colleges offer cosmetology programs, so you could take a few classes to see if it's what you want to do.

Keep in mind that without an associates degree in cosmetology, you'll have a much harder time finding work since you'll be competing with so many other job applicants who do have their degree and license.  Good luck with your search to find your passion. smile

3. Naturally Luxe profile image60
    Naturally Luxeposted 5 years ago

You don't need to go to school for cosmetology to become a makeup artist. In cosmetology school you'll do much more than makeup (e.g. hair, nails, etc) and if you're only looking for makeup training your best bet is to search for makeup training schools (even though it is not required to work in the field). Having the training will give you a more competitive edge in the industry. Sites like MAC's website offer information on getting started.