jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is a good tattoo for a writer?

1. RC Cooper profile image75
    RC Cooperposted 5 years ago

What is a good tattoo for a writer?

I am not kidding.
    For years I have wanted to get inked but I want the piece to be about my passion in writing. I've looked on Google for ideas and discovered: Quill tattoos are nice, but kinda girly. Typewriters and keyboards are an accurate, masculine touch but too intricate; it must be simple. As for quotes on the body, I find that pretentious, so what would be interesting?
    Lets keep in mind that I am a tattoo virgin and might need something to start with that won't make me scream like a wuss through the session.
    Thanks for any ideas and input...RC

2. profile image0
    Domenick Dicceposted 5 years ago

This is a fun question. Maybe think beyond writing and brainstorm what you like to write (poetry, fiction), writers who have inspired you or maybe a story you have written that is close to your heart.

3. profile image51
    Giddy Geezerposted 5 years ago

How about an open book with wings? It is kind of hard to describe what I am thinking of but when I read your question this image just popped into my mind. You could give the idea to a tatoo artist and see what they come up with. Probably something even better than my vision!

4. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 5 years ago

You need to decide what suits YOU, and what you can live with for the rest of your life.  Have you considered doing something that's more of an internal, writer-like exploration rather than visually looking on the internet?  Try some free writing, or keep a journal of ideas and after a while see what has emerged...

And if you can't decided on a design and are worried you'll "scream like a wuss" while getting it, then that's the Universe telling you that you aren't ready to get tattooed yet.

5. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

No tattoo is the best choice for writers or anyone else. I remember a line from an old MASH episode, where Col. Potter asked why would anyone get a tattoo of something they would not hang on their living room wall.

I applied for a job once and was told to dress professionally for the interview. That bother me because if a person does not know how to dress they should not be hired. However, I followed the instructions and out came a young woman to conduct the interview, with visible tattoos down her left arm. In my opinion, she was not dressed in a professional manner--at least not the profession that was involved with the job.