jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Why do cowboys wear handkerchiefs around their necks?

1. MarleneB profile image96
    MarleneBposted 4 years ago

Why do cowboys wear handkerchiefs around their necks?

I've been watching a lot of old western movies and television shows lately and I notice that the cowboys wear handkerchiefs around their necks. Is it a fashion piece, like the ties of today, or does the handkerchief serve a purpose?

2. Faith Reaper profile image88
    Faith Reaperposted 4 years ago

Hi Marlene,

It actually served a purpose ... it kept the sun and the dust off a cowboy’s neck while rounding up cattle.

1. profile image53
      tbHistorianposted 4 years agoin reply to this

correct - and it was used during violent dust storms to cover the mouth and nose to keep out the debris.
      rustlers also used it to hide their identity when stealing animals from the good guys.

2. Faith Reaper profile image88
      Faith Reaperposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, and what is interesting, is that it goes way back to the Medieval days.

3. MarleneB profile image96
      MarleneBposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It makes sense now that you mention it. I think when I saw Gene Autry (sp?) wearing his hankie and looking so dainty, logic escaped me and I started wondering if it was just a fashion statement.

3. tsmog profile image82
    tsmogposted 4 years ago

Not sure of the history. Working in the sun or heat of the day it is not uncommon for workers to tie a kerchief around the neck. One reason is it absorbs the perspiration and cools the neck region.

Whether by chance or not the thyroid is located in the neck. The thyroid has much to do with regulating body temperature, metabolism, and helping to maintain a state of homeostasis. Many will soak the kerchief with water or place ice in it before tying it around the neck too, thus further cooling the neck.

As suggested how it was discovered or when I am not sure. Working in garages auto repair facilities I learned this trick. We were exposed to the elements with open bays and not in enclosed buildings. The same practice was used in warehouse conditions too. Field workers tend to wear a bandana or kerchief around their neck or keep it around their head until needed I presume.

1. MarleneB profile image96
      MarleneBposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't know why it never occurred to me, but now that you mention it, I see the logical purpose. Thanks!

2. tsmog profile image82
      tsmogposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Your welcome

working