jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What is the attraction of ugly sweaters?

1. bethperry profile image91
    bethperryposted 4 years ago

What is the attraction of ugly sweaters?

I think it is cute how some folks enjoy wearing and/or making the ugly winter sweater. But I am also curious what the attraction about these garments are? Is it just a fun hobby or a whimsical fashion statement? Maybe something else? Please help me understand the attraction here? Thanks!

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8593584_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    sheilamyersposted 4 years ago

I think some people make and/or wear them so they can get attention. Who's not going to notice a sweater like the one you show. If I see a complete stranger wearing something like that, I'm more likely to strike up a conversation with them.

bethperryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

sheilamyers, very interesting theory. And you know, it seems folks that dare to wear them are often very upbeat people, too. Thanks for the comment!

3. savvydating profile image95
    savvydatingposted 4 years ago

What a fun question! My guess is that it has something to do with the American psyche of nearly always "rooting for the underdog." An ugly sweater is like Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. Both are rooted in good will. Therefore, we root for the ugly sweater just like we root for Charlie Brown's tree. We know in our hearts that those things stand for goodness, and we wish them the best!
    Everyone of us has an ugly sweater complex hidden somewhere in the recesses of our souls. And then there is that physical part of us which we wish were cuter. For example, a woman with a big nose would probably prefer to have a cute, perky nose. But her nose is part of her heritage, so rather than fix it, she honors her "ugly nose/sweater" heritage. Anyway, that's what I think of when I see ugly sweaters. It's a way of saying, "Look, we can be beautiful even when we're not the cutest sweater in town." The ugly sweater also says, "Merry Christmas to one and all..." And in my humble opinion, that's a good thing.

bethperryposted 4 years agoin reply to this

savvydating, I don't know if you are right or really off-base, but I LOVE your speculation! Thanks for sharing.

2. savvydating profile image95
      savvydatingposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yea! Thank you, Beth. I meant every word of it.

working