Is my tongue infected?

1. profile image56
    Skylar Ralstonposted 17 months ago

Is my tongue infected?

I got my tongue pierced Sunday (Today is Thursday) it went through the normal pain, and the burning tastebuds. the burning wouldn't stop so I continuously drank water and sucked on ice. I HAD been using biotène mouthwash for 2 days. But I ran out pretty fast. My dad had some non-alcholic crest pro health, so I used it a lot that day and then I looked up that that stuff isn't good for even using twice a day. Now my gums closer to my lips are sore, and a little bit on the inside of my lip(top and bottom) is it because my piercing. Is it because the piercing is infected or is it from the wash?

2. Larry Slawson profile image98
    Larry Slawsonposted 17 months ago

More than likely from the mouthwash, I'd say.  That stuff burns like crazy.  I can never use it more than once a day, or else my mouth gets really sore as well. 

I would definitely refrain from using that anymore (at least until your tongue has healed considerably).  One thing you could potentially try is Crest's Peroxyl mouthwash.  It is specifically designed for healing up mouth wounds and sores.  Only use as directed though.  Make sure you don't overdo it. 

Hope you feel better!

3. Aime F profile image83
    Aime Fposted 17 months ago

Most likely from the mouthwash.  If your piercing was infected you would probably be in a lot of localized pain (right at the piercing) before it spread to the rest of your mouth. 

What did your piercer recommend you use specifically?  I got my tongue pierced almost ten years ago so I don't remember much of the specifics but I do seem to remember swishing sea salt water around many times - might be an alternative to the mouthwash if it's causing you problems but you may want to run it by your piercer first.

working