Fashion and beauty a huge part of your life?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Mikeydoes profile image42
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Clothes, shopping, jewelry, body art, skin care, hair styles, and accessories.

I was in a furniture store yesterday and I just remember thinking, man I really don't care about any of this stuff. All the while my Gram was in her glory. Deciding over mirrors that all looked the same to me. I was looking at couches that looked sharp, but none of them looked inviting and comfortable to me. I just want something that I can sprawl out on and be able to fit other people on there to sleep. And it got me thinking, do I actually care about any of this stuff?

Home and garden network and the new fashions that are in just does nothing for me at all. I can care less as long as it doesn't look trashy it doesn't bother me. People have such huge opinions on handles to cabinets, I say as long as you can open it, it doesn't bother me.

My wardrobe consists of workout shorts and t-shirts 80% of the time, if any shirt at all. I had 20 white hanes tagless t-shirts and lots of workout shorts. Sometimes I would wear my brother's and he would wear mine. I wore them almost every day in High School. I never cared what people thought, but no one ever said anything either. I have been walking outside my house barefoot since I was a little kid and still do to this day(along with other places). Some golf attire collared shirts(which I did not buy)and cargo shorts thats it. When I have to go to a funeral or a wedding I freak out, mainly because I don't have any dress clothes. But the last funeral I went to I wore my golf attire. Luckily it is more important that I go, then what I am wearing.

When I go shopping it usually consists of getting in and getting for a predetermined item. And that is usually best buy for some type of electronic or TJ maxx for cheap shirts and undies etc.

Jewelry, I have watches that I never wear.

Body art and skin care aren't really my style either. So what am I actually doing posting here, lol.

I'm not saying its a bad thing or that I disapprove of fashion etc. I'm just wondering is anyone else like me? Or is fashion a huge part of your life, and if so why? Why is it so appealing to you?

2. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm not into it. Sure I like to dress up now and then - about every six months.

I only wore mascara at my wedding - and only coz my friends made me!

I don't like make up. I'd rather spend $100 buying three outfits than $300 buying one designer outfit.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image55
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Same with Wrylilt, simple shower, comb hair, jeans and simple tank top, then off anywhere (except for special occasions, no make up but presentable)

I rather buy what to cook than for fashion and beauty.

4. yenajeon profile image71
    yenajeonposted 13 years ago

Fashion is a HUGE part of my life. I live, eat, and breathe fashion. I have to, as it pays my bills!

smile

5. MPG Narratives profile image59
    MPG Narrativesposted 13 years ago

A huge part of my life, all of it. Bag, shoes, jewellery, make-up. I was a make up artist for years too.

Also, these days I'm into fashion even more because of my teenage daughter - she lives for shopping and fashion! smile

6. Jayne Lancer profile image90
    Jayne Lancerposted 13 years ago

I finance my fashion and beauty addiction by working in fashion and beauty. I do this, because I don't really consider fashion and beauty important enough to squander my husband's income on them. Everything has its place.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's funny.  Working in fashion & beauty caused me to almost completely avoid it.  I used to be interested in such things, more than most people, I think.  I wore makeup whenever I left the house, even to walk the dog.  I was always matching, accessorizing, etc.  I got a job working as a personal assistant to the advice columnist for a very famous mainstream fashion magazine, and over time I realized that putting so much time and focus into that world was changing who I was as a person.  I was becoming more and more shallow, while simultaneously my self esteem was plummeting.  So I quit, and went entirely the opposite direction.  Now I wear makeup probably once a month at most, and as I recently posted in another thread, I only go shopping when my jeans wear through.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image90
        Jayne Lancerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think the effect it has on you depends on where you're working. Obviously, eyes are always critical in the industry, but I've been lucky to have worked in comparatively laid-back environments.
        Today, I don't even have colleagues to 'compete' with. I work for myself, giving advice on clothes, make-up and hair. Most of my work involves getting brides ready for their big day, or styling older women who are unhappy with their ever fading looks.
        But it is vitally important that my own appearance makes a good impression, so that's my excuse smile
        I've been passionate about Fashion and Beauty since I was a child, and I don't think anything could make me give it up.

7. profile image0
    Rookie70posted 13 years ago

I didn't care about name brands and labels for the most part of my life, but I decided that I needed something to show for the my years of hard work that I've done. It wouldn't make sense to me if I never invested in some kind of luxury, because life is too short, and I want to at least look like I am a hard working man. I just started buying Marcos jeans, Alfani Jacket, shoes, and shirts to match my attire. Macy's is probably the best store to shop at for good vendor brands, especially for people like me who are working with a low budget. You can get some great deals there.

8. Diane Inside profile image72
    Diane Insideposted 13 years ago

unfortunately I have never cared for fashion at all, I do like my home to look nice, even more than what I look like.  I sometimes do wish I cared more, because then maybe I would learn more about how to dress nice.  I do like to have a nice haircut and have healthy hair and practice good hygiene but that is it.  I wouldn't know the first thing about make up or the latest fashions.

9. profile image50
    j.misraposted 13 years ago

They are indeed a huge part of our life. Without it, any body is incomplete. It is very important for us to present our selves in a perfect manner. Fashion is not new. But it is found in every place. fashion trreands come and go. but a good fashion are always in. It helps us maximize our positive sides and guards our flaws.
    Our bags, shoes, outfits all are included in our fashion. To be fashionable is the trend of present day

10. triosol profile image60
    triosolposted 13 years ago

Fashion is a part of my life everyday smile

11. ponx profile image79
    ponxposted 13 years ago

I like to dress fashionably but I don't like to wear too much makeup.

12. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

There have been times when fashion and beauty were very important in my life, and times when they have not.  Any real interest I have in fashion these days comes as a result of having two daughters, ages 15 and 20. And anybody who has girls in that age group knows how important fashion and beauty are to them.

13. Fashion Lover profile image61
    Fashion Loverposted 13 years ago

I'm a big fan of fashion and personal style so I have to say it's a big part of my life. I love dressing up everyday but not too much. My style is pretty minimalist but I really enjoy watching fashion shows and interpreting runway trends.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)