jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

Wedding Traditions

1. ComfortB profile image86
    ComfortBposted 6 years ago

Will an American wedding be incomplete without the usual 'something new', 'something blue' and 'something borrowed' accessories? What negative effect/connotation, if any will that have on a wedding?

1. prektjr.dc profile image85
      prektjr.dcposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Traditions are just that...a routine event carried on through generations.  They have no "power" so cannot have an effect on a wedding.  Just as it may be a tradition to decorate a Christmas tree in red and green, there is no law or tragedy that will occur if it is decorated in blue and gold one year.  The something old, something new, something borrowed and something blue is just a way of connecting the past, the future, friends and family into a wedding.

1. ComfortB profile image86
        ComfortBposted 6 years ago in reply to this

@prektjr.dc - You are absolutely right! The fact is, most people don't know that, and get all bent out of shape trying to fit all these traditions into their wedding.

2. lalalaura profile image59
      lalalauraposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you're superstitious then I would say go for it. But in the last couple months I've been to numerous weddings and have found that not only are brides not doing the something borrowed thing anymore, they also aren't throwing the bouquet!

2. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 6 years ago

A lot of the wedding traditions aren't as old as people think.  Even the wearing of a white dress, only goes back to Queen Victoria, who was the first bride to wear white.  Yet people were getting married for thousands of years before then.  It also became a tradition to have a chimney sweep at a wedding, yet who has this today?

1. Lisa HW profile image81
      Lisa HWposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hmm.  My daughter is getting married.  I'll have to mention that chimney-sweep thing.   Somehow, I'm thinking she may choose to leave that tradition out.

2. ComfortB profile image86
      ComfortBposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is the first I'm hearing about the 'chimney sweep'. What is that, and how is it done?

working