Fashion and old-fashion

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Hui (蕙) profile image60
    Hui (蕙)posted 12 years ago

There used to be a theory about fashion period, which is about 70 years, i.e. fashion design is a spiral rising. In another words, clothes several years ago are old-fashion, but those changed based on styles several decades years ago or even the same styles are fashion. What do you think?

1. SoleiMarie profile image58
      SoleiMarieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can't imagine myself wearing these dresses. I like the way it looks. It echo femininity but still I don't want to wear it.. I want comfortable clothes may not be as fashionable as that.

Hui (蕙)posted 12 years agoin reply to this

So do I. After all, we live in a modern time. But the theory talks about "spiral rising", which means innovative change based on old design. For example, I have a suspender with classical laces and buttons. I really like it. Modern designers turn to old times for creative ideas, which is a good way. Of course, those officially classic costumes are only appriciated as cultural heritages, or used in special occassions. smile

2. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

I think fashions in the past did repeat, almost on a hundred year basis.  Women's fashion of the early 20th century, with its emphasis on the empire line, was very similar to the fashions of the early 19th century.  The fashions of the 1750s, 1850s and 1950s placed the emphasis on the full skirt, whether through use of the crinoline or several petticoats.  However, I think that cycle has come to an end, as clothes now owe little to style, and more to functionality.  People mostly dress for comfort now, and fashion seems to have come to a standstill as a result.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5361240_f248.jpg
    1850s

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/5361243.jpg
    1750s

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/5361250.jpg
    1950s

1. Richieb799 profile image77
      Richieb799posted 12 years ago

It does repeat but its simply because the fashion industry has no original concepts so it has to keep recycling but I like it when the hipster look comes back around and women dress retro smile

2. calpol25 profile image59
      calpol25posted 12 years ago

I have noticed recently that the 1970s fashion seems to have come full circular, I guess people just prefer the older looks but with a more modern feel smile

Hui (蕙)posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Right, this must be the concept of "spiral rising", i.e. put innovative ideas into old designs. Besides, it is a good way for designers to turn to old times for creation, like Richieb799 said above "no original concepts". And plus, people nowadays seem to be fond of remembering past times in this hurry society. Indeed, all those old memories are memorable and meaningful.smile

3. profile image0
      Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5361308_f248.jpg

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5361312.jpg

1. calpol25 profile image59
        calpol25posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oddly enough walking passed Dorothy Perkins window the other day I could swear these two dresses were in it, though it could have been H&M......smile

4. profile image52
      lisacruise82posted 12 years ago

I like to old fashion,It's such a good think.

5. ixbag profile image60
      ixbagposted 12 years ago

The 70’s style is the main driver for the popular accessories this season, from bucket bag, Fedora Bag to Chalaza Oxford shoe. In a word, there are few Studio 54’s dazzling, but more Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche style.
         Although for 2011-2012 fall and winter, designers’ retro feel inspiration comes from different fashion time, 70’s is still key to the influence and to some extent promotes accessory’s developing trend. While modernistic style in the 60’s and elegant mixed style in the 30’s and 40’s provides many fresh ideas. The more remote historical style like Baroque, Rococo and such romantic style add certain fashionable thespian feel elements and luxuriant charm to the accessories.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)