I Need Help Picking Out a Dress

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 12 years ago

I have a formal event to attend coming up in a few months and I'm already freaking out about a dress. This is like gala type thing. Usually I'm an uber nerd. My idea of dressing up is wearing something other than jeans.

I want to look spectacular in maybe a tea-length dress, but am really unsure about the color and style and was hoping maybe others could help.

I know color is kind of skin tone, hair color thing. I have naturally VERY dark hair but my hair is currently blond. I am not sure if it'll be blonder or I'll go natural for the thing.

Normally I wouldn't care, but for this particular event, I HAVE to look amazing.

I am 5'4, thin, and NOT gifted in the chest region. I have pale skin and very dark eyes. Hmmm, I think that's all.

http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26 … photo2.jpg
    (you can see my skin is kind of pink)
    http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww26 … photo1.jpg

Any ideas on colors? Or at least things to avoid?

1. CASE1WORKER profile image60
      CASE1WORKERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In th photo you look lovely in pink , but of course you had dark hair.
      Why dont you try a few gowns on, dont be fooled by an assistant, they may be helpful or they might just want to offload an overstock.
      Try some on and take some photos and then see how you feel

2. ursabear profile image61
      ursabearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Melbel!
      I worked in a dress shop in Brooklyn, NY for a few years and we had a dress called the Butter dress. It was our top seller and miraculously looked amazing on every single body type. I never saw it not work for someone. The designer was a dancer so understood the woman's figure. You can go to the designer's website, it is butterbynadia.com For you I would suggest the Signature Jersey. There are so many colors you will find something great. It is an investment piece but so worth it! Good luck!

3. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Stay away from muddy colors like the ones you're wearing in your pictures.  I agree with the jewel tones - clear colors but not bright colors - think cranberry red, forest green, rich mushroom gray, espresso brown.  I went to the shopbutterbynadia.com site.  Some cute stuff and they are a bit pricey.

Stick with something from a boutique.  You look very kitschy, not really worldly, so stick to your genre.  Don't try to be something you wouldn't be comfortable being.  But remember, this is a formal event.  The genre of the event should dictate what you wear.  MOMA's 200th anniversary?  Understated elegance.  Music Awards Dinner?  More fun and creative.  Whatever you wear, make sure you are comfortable first and that it suits your personal style. 

For you, I would go plunging neckline (Goldie Hawn loved this style) OR plunging backline, long sleeved and slim fitting.  I tend to disagree with the padded, underwired trying to make something there idea.  Go with the waiflike figure you have and flaunt it.  The bust isn't everything.  Get your makeup done softly accentuating those big eyes and sweep/twist the hair softly away from the face.  No updos.  Choose ONE big accessory - bracelet, earrings, or neckpiece but don't overdo jewelry either.  It doesn't work unless you're either a gypsy, an aging eccentric matriarch, or posing in a jewelry ad.

If you would disclose what the event actually is, it would be helpful.  If the invitation says 'black tie', do not under any circumstances go with a short dress, leggings, booties or slacks.  You may think you are being 'different' but you will feel like a fool when you get there.

4. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Get this dress, and you can quit worrying.

http://www.edressme.com/black-cocktail- … d3218.html

and here are your shoes
      http://couture.zappos.com/n/p/p/7832551 … 1B2163195C

Problem solved

smile

2. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

I agree, try on plenty. I thought your shirt was purple in that photo and it did complement your hair color very nicely. I don't know how it would go  as a blond, but I can tell you from experience; sometimes what colors you think are no nos surprise you. Try a lot on, then take someone you trust along to thin  the choices down.

3. JIN1128 profile image88
    JIN1128posted 12 years ago

Hi girlfriend.  Since your bust is small, do wear padded, wired, pushup bra under the dress.  Since your skin is pale, lots of colors will work.  From what I can see, you should choose "cold" colors.  Royal blue, pinks or purple.  In general, cold colors are colors that have more blues in it.  I would suggest that you look at either www.urbanoutfitters.com or www.freepeople.com to choose your dress.  I love these two shops but I am not associated with them (I am not trying to advertise these two stores in anyway).  In my opinion, their dresses are just edgy, modern and very cute!

Here is what I suggest for you:
    urbanoutfitters' BB Dakota Jacquard Sleeveless Dress
    wear it with black tights / leggings and some studded bootie.

http://www.freepeople.com/clothes-dress … eve-dress/
    Maharani bubble sleeve dress - wear it with either black tights / studded booties or some very nice flats (like Tory Burch Reva Ballet flats)

http://www.freepeople.com/clothes-dress … ube-dress/
    this dress will make your bust look bigger than it actually is.  Pair it with some nice high heel sandals.  This is a little less formal.  I don't know if you can wear it or not at the event.  But it would be a great piece otherwise.

urbanoutfitters Cooperative Library Knit Dress
    This dress is very cute and good for fall.  Very appropriate for the office and professional environment.

Oh, make sure you put some makeup on.  Since your skin is pinkish, you should use a foundation to make the skin look flawless.  Curl your hair for some added sex appeal.  Ok, that's kind of long already.  I hope that will give you some ideas.

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

melbel, I say, go for some chic elegance in a fun way. Since you say you're a bit of a nerd, (nerd rocks, you know!) make yourself dazzle with something unexpected!

I love the ModCloth site - it has some fantastic looks and styles to choose from.
    Here are the party dresses: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/party-dresses

How about dark?? I think this one is fabulous. It's a bit artsy and old world style.

http://www.modcloth.com/Modcloth/Womens … Arts-Dress
    Be sure to zoom in and look at the details.

I agree with adding some make-up. Maybe a friend can help you get that special look.

I would keep looking for you, but I have to go flat iron my hair before bed!
    Have fun looking and keep us posted! big_smile

1. profile image56
      grace4-4posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I started shopping with Modcloth in 2013. I have ordered many dresses through Modcloth Coupon Codes from them that are of great quality. I have only had to return items twice. Each time I had no issues contacting a representative of the company. Their number is listed on their website and an English-speaking person helped me. The money I spent was placed back on my debit card in a timely manner as well. I will continue to be a ModCloth supporter and I also give you the following link to Modcloth Coupons links where you get amazing discounts and hot deals.
      SHOP AT: https://www.couponoutlet.org/deals/modcloth.com

5. prektjr.dc profile image74
    prektjr.dcposted 12 years ago

Hello!
       First of all, your natural coloring in hair will always give you the best look!  Don't be afraid to rock the look God gave ya!  With dark hair and eyes, you will look great and the jewel tone colors. Red, Purple and Royal Blue as well as that ever perfect Little Black Dress will look great on you!  Better yet, wear the little black dress with a shrug in one of those jewel tones and match it with a clutch and shoes in the same tone.  People will notice the pop of color and you will shine.  You can also glam it up with a pop of shine such as silver or gold if you are color shy.  Try on lots of styles and find the one you love and feel great in!  Attitude is everything!  Tell the sales clerk that you will buy the dress that you shine in, but not until you can ROCK it!!  She will bend over backwards to find THE one for you!  Don't be afraid to ask for the Manager's help if the clerk is just pushing a sale.  It is always better to have a happy customer who will return than to make one quick sale.  My guess is you will look great in a sheath.  Only the thin gals can pull it off, so don't be afraid to flaunt your thin! There are some great little black dresses at http://fashion.about.com/od/holiday/tp/lbd.htm to check out! 

NEVER wear leggings or booties to a formal affair, however tempting they may be, unless you are used to the edgy look and have the confidence to carry it off! Some of us fashionistas might, but as you state you are used to jeans, it would not be a natural look for you!

Call a Mary Kay or Avon lady or stop by the cosmetic counter at a department store and set an appointment for them to do your makeup the day of the event.  Tell them you want a natural glamour look and they will fix you up.  The curls are a great idea, but pull it up and back to accentuate your neck and shoulders! Shiny earrings will bring the attention to your eyes which will look great in the dark, bright colors!

Always wear a heel to a formal affair, but only one you can walk in well.  Adjust it to your confidence level, but definitely wear the highest heels you can!

Good luck and don't forget the smile!  You will look great if you have it on!  Have fun and be sure to let us know how it went!

6. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

I think a dark jewel tone would like great on you.  Like burgundy or sapphire blue.  there are some very nice dinner dresses out right now in shot silk if your budget can stretch to it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)