- Consumer Electronics & Personal Gadgets»
- Portable Electronics»
App Product Review: The Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock.
Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock.
What is the Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock App?
After my curiosity regarding sleep took over me, I decided to do some in-depth research around how to sleep, as well as what are the fundamentals for a good nights rest.
Now, from what I've experienced, normal alarm clocks utilise annoying sounds or loud 'beeps' to wake a person up quickly. However, this often results in the user putting the alarm clock on snooze, or even throwing it out the window if they're in a foul mood. Therefore, it seems clear to me and the designers of the Sleep Cycle App, that having annoying, loud sounds isn't the appropriate way to wake someone up.
Due to this knowledge, the designers of the App decided to use calm and peaceful soundtracks, which slowly raise you from your state of sleep, whilst full relaxing your mind. Not only does this ensure that you won't want to fall asleep again, but they have also used science in determining when it's actually best for you to wake up!
How Does The Sleep Cycle App Work?
The Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock sensors your movement during your sleep by using the iPod Touch/iPhone's accelerometer, which is conveniently built into the device. By using the information it records during your sleep, it can tell not only what phase of sleep you are currently in, but can then decide when it is best to wake you up from your sleep.
However obviously, if you need to get up around a certain time frame, you can set the alarm for the latest time you can possibly be awakened at, and then the Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock will choose a time within thirty minutes before your latest time. (Based on your state of sleep.)
Also with the 'Snooze' function that the Application has, if you feel like you need an extra few minutes resting time, the App will then select durations (based on your sleep state) as to when the soothing sounds will begin again. You can also choose from 9 different sound tracks, so that you have choice as to which sound you'd like to wake up to.
The Advantages of Using The Sleep Cycles App.
There are many useful features and ideas implemented into the App, which overall make it Award worthy due to it's minuscule price! Here are some of the main advantages to using this App on a night-to-night basis.
- Wake up at a time which suits your body clock.
- Wake up refreshed and ready to start a new day.
- Wake up to peaceful, calming soundtracks which come free with the App.
- Find out how your body works overnight, using the graph that the App records your sleeping data on.
- Never worry again about having to press snooze or reaching around to find the off button.
- Choose your own tunes to use to wake you up in the morning.
- Perform better during the day.
The Dis-Advantages of Using The Sleep Cycles App.
Despite the many great aspects of this App, there are one or two downsides which I had experienced...
- You have to have your iPod Touch/iPhone right next to your head when sleeping. (However, if you turn off Wifi or put the iPhone into 'Aeroplane mode' you should be okay to put it near our head.)
- Once or twice you may not even notice that the alarm has gone off, due to the sounds being too quiet or peaceful. (If that's the case you can use the standard alarm clock noises, which are a lot louder, but for the best effect use your own tunes.)
- If you sleep with your husband/wife, the alarm might disturb their sleeping, because it's not the correct time for them to wake up...
Is the Sleep Cycle Alarm Clock App Worth Buying?
Absolutely! At the price of $0.99 or £0.65 if you use pounds sterling, you should definitely buy this App for your iDevices. It's a very small amount to pay for hours of great sleep, as well as being able to finally wake up on time and refreshed. Also with the data it stores on the graph, which is accessible from the 'Statistics' menu, you can see what your body was doing during your sleep.
The only downsides to this App are that you have to have the device near to your head, and underneath a light sheet otherwise it may over-heat. Plus if you forget to turn off WiFi or turn it on to Aeroplane mode, there isn't full scientific knowledge on the full effects that can have on you over a period of time.
Although, apart from that small issue, this is a great App to have when you want to reap the full benefits of sleeping, and be able to wake up with a smile on your face... Ready to tackle a new day.
My Rating of The Sleep Cycle App!
Great Video of a Demo of The Sleep Cycles App.
Copyright © 2012 Drspaniel/hubpages.com