Cell Phone Batterys | Extending Battery Charge
Cell Phone Batteries
There are some things that you can do to prevent your cell phone batterys from having a shorter lifespan than normal. Most people are unhappy with their cell phone batterys run time as it is. With these few tips you can help your cell phone battery last much longer.
- When you buy a replacement cell phone battery, make sure that you get a new original manufacturers battery. It's very common for unscrupulous companies to sell used batteries and pawn them off as new.
- When you first get your cell phone battery, it's really important to charge it completely. This doesn't mean that you charge it until the phone says that the battery is charged. You need to charge them for about 16 hours. I know that it's tempting to use the phone when you are doing this. Everyone wants to play with the phone and start adding numbers, and learning about it's features. Don't be tempted! Charge it fully before using it.
- If your phone has a NiCd battery, they do best when they are near to fully drained before you charge them again. After your first 16 hour charge cycle be sure and fully drain them, and then fully charge them for the next 4 cycles. This is called conditioning the battery. If you are patient and do this, your cell phone batterys will thank you for it.
- If your phone has a Lithium Ion battery, they don't like to be fully discharged very often. It is recommended that you do the charge, discharge cycle about two times for lithium ion cell phone batterys. About every 30 charges, let the phone discharge until it shuts down. Other times, discharge the battery to about 50% before you recharge it.
- Keep your cell phone batterys cool. They are happiest at around 75 degrees Fahrenheit. Colder than that an they won't hold as long of a charge. Cold batteries cant store as much energy as a room temperature battery. Hot cell phone batterys are worse than cold batterys. When cell phones get hot they can be permanently damaged. Even carrying your phone in your pocket can shorten its life. Leaving your phone in a hot car is like a death sentence for your cell phones battery. Check your mobile phones battery while it is being charged. If it get's hot, your charger is likely faulty. Discontinue using it and get a new one. If the new charger causes the same heating, it's time for a new battery. An exception to this would be the NiMH type. These batteries can get warm while charging. This is normal and okay.
- I've heard that you shouldn't store Lithium Ion batteries in a fully charged state. I don't know why this is but it's worth keeping in mind.
- Store your cell phone batterys when you aren't going to be using them for a prolonged period of time. Let's say that you have some spare cell phone batterys, You should take them out of the phones, off the chargers, and store them in a cool dry place.
- Keep the metal contact terminals clean. Over time they can become corroded. Clean them with a q-tip.
Cell Phone Batterys | Failure
No matter how well you take care of your cell phone batterys, they will eventually die. Some clues that your mobile phone battery is failing are listed below.
- If the battery becomes warmer than normal when charging, it may be failing.
- If the battery gets warmer than normal while using the phone the battery may be failing.
- If your battery charge isn't lasting as long after charging, the battery may be failing.
- If your battery becomes misshapen or swollen, that's a sign that it's failing.
- If the battery won't take a charge, it's dead and needs to be replaced.
Cell phone batterys are a necessary evil in today's world. Most people are frustrated when they don't hold a charge very long. With a little care and preventative measures, you can help your battery live to it's fullest potential.
If you liked reading this article, you might also like reading about how to locate cell phone with the modern technology that is available to us today. This is done with triangulation and GPS technology.
You might also enjoy reading about GPS vehicle tracking. With this technology, you can track a vehicle that is equipped with a GPS tracking device.