tirelesstraveler profile image 87

How effective would solar be in parts of the world that have little or no sunlight during the winter

I just read an article about the president campaigning for solar in Alaska. Sure Alaska gets a lot of sun during the summer, but the reverse is true during the winter. How efficient is it to use a system that won't work for 3-4 months a year? Would the summer make up for the winter or overload a system?

LongTimeMother profile image97

LongTimeMother says

• tirelesstraveler profile image

Judy Specht (tirelesstraveler) 20 months ago

You brought up another layer to this conversation. Can solar panels survive Alaskan winters? Also you don't need much electricity during the summer in places where the sun never sets for 84 days.

B. Leekley profile image86

Brian Leekley (B. Leekley) says

• tirelesstraveler profile image

Oregon has daylight even though the state doesn't have much sun. Parts of Alaska have almost no winter daylight. Barrow has 60 days each year without daylight. Ambient light works well , but no light?

eugbug profile image94

Eugene Brennan (eugbug) says

• tirelesstraveler profile image

Excellent ideas. We are teaming w/ scientists in my area. There was one working on the reservoir idea. - I was watching a video about the density of Alaska. If Manhattan had the same ratios there would only be 16 people in the city.

ThelmaC profile image93

Thelma Raker Coffone (ThelmaC) says

• tirelesstraveler profile image

Thelma I can hardly wait for someone to answer. I know with wind mills they have to shut them off when the wind is blowing too hard or they burn up the turbine. I wonder if the same thing can happen with solar production in the summer in Ak.