Cameras Like GoPro
Hands-Free Action Cameras Similar to GoPro
GoPro hands-free cameras have become popular with sports enthusiasts who want to capture point-of-view (POV) action as they shred down the mountain, catch a wave on their surboard or get airborne on their mountain bikes. But GoPro isn't the only game in town. Other manufacturers also make wearable and mountable cameras suitable for capturing all the action. Here are four other popular cameras like GoPro that you might want to consider before selecting the action cam that's right for you.
(Photo by Lisa Howard)
ContourROAM2 - Strong competition for GoPro
Although they may not have quite the same name recognition as GoPro, Contour is one of the leading brands in the action camera market. The ContourHD was the first hands-free video camera to offer 1080p HD recording, and their cameras continue to be popular. One of the advantages of a Contour camera over a GoPro is the design, which is more aerodynamic and not quite as conspicuous when mounted on a helmet.
The newest Contour models are the ContourROAM2 and the Contour+2. The ROAM2 is shown below. (You can also read more about this camera in my article "Why the Contour ROAM is Great for Moms".)
- Locking Instant On-Record Switch No power button, no problem. Simply slide the Instant On-Record switch into its locking position to ensure you shoot exactly when you're ready.
- Vibrant color options We understand that style matters and color can make or break a look. Match your kit, or bring in a little contrast by adding a ContourROAM2 in one of four colors: Contour green, red, blue or traditional black.
- 60fps As requested by our users, we've bumped up the frames per second to 60, meaning you can now get that smooth video quality you've come to expect from Contour cameras.
- Waterproof without a case Good things come in small packages. The ContourROAM2 sheds bulk by working underwater without an extra case.
See the CountourROAM in action - Take a look at some footage from the ROAM
Sony HDR-AS10 Action Video Camera - Top manufacturer jumps into the action cam market with two models
Like GoPro models, the Sony Action Cams offer 170-degree view and are waterproof to 197 feet. They offer one-touch recording in 1080p video. One advantage to the Sony models is that they offer a built-in stereo mic, rather than the monoaural microphone in the GoPro cams.
- Compact, rugged HD video action camcorder
- High quality Full HD 1080p recording
- Ruggedized, waterproof housing with universal tripod mount included
Liquid Image Ego - True POV HD Video Camera with 1.5x Optical Zoom
Liquid Image's first action cams were integrated into sports goggles and snorkeling masks. Like GoPro cameras, Liquid Image's tiny camcorders were designed to capture POV action during a variety of sports. Having a camera built right into your goggles is convenient because it doesn't require any separate mounts or straps. So the company came up with another action cam, the Liquid Image Ego. This small, hands-free mountable camera has Wi-Fi can shoot full 1080p video and 12 MP still photos.
- Wi-Fi enabled Full 1080P HD Mountable Action Camera
- Video Mode records HD 1080P Video up to 30 fps and HD 720P up to 60 fps
- Photo Mode records 12.0 MP images through a 136 degree lens and includes a continuous photo mode
- Rechargeable Lithium Battery (included) lasts for approximately 1.5-2 hours in the HD Video Mode.
- Waterproof Housing is available as an accessory
GoPro HERO vs Liquid Image Ego - Compare them side-by-side
Oregon Scientific ATC Action Camera - Includes a color LCD screen
Oregon Scientific isn't going to bump GoPro off the top of the action cam market any time soon, but this hands-free POV camera does offer some nifty features you won't get on a GoPro. For instance, it includes a G Force sensor to capture the force of gravity while you're engaged in extreme sports, and it has a color LCD screen for immediate playback. Also, the camera doesn't require a separate underwater housing; it's water resistant to 20 meters with no additional casing.
- Full HD video capture with 5M photo capture at 5 MP resolution
- Built in G Force Sensor captures your force of gravity during acceleration
- 1.5" LCD color display, microphone, and speaker all allow you to record and instantly playback the actions with your own narrative
- Custom video settings include Effect mode, White Balance, Contrast/ Sharpness, and more
- Shock Resistant and Water resistant up to 20 M
Due to the popularity of action cams, more cameras like GoPro are being released each year.
More Action Cams and Accessories - Find other water resistant, hands-free POV cameras online
Didn't like any of the options above? Then be sure to check out some of the action cameras below.
GoPro Cameras on eBay - If you decide to choose a GoPro, be sure to check eBay for deals
If you ultimately decide to go with GoPro, you can save money by looking for older models (GoPro Hero2), used cameras, or new models on eBay. You can often find great prices here from very reputable sellers. Just look for merchants with a lot of positive feedback and you could walk away with a great deal.
You Might Also Like... - More photography pages by lisadh
Does an Underwater Camera Bag Work?
Underwater photography has become quite popular in the past few years as affordable waterproof cameras have made it possible for just about anyone to take ph...
Top Rugged Cameras 2013
Each year, the number of tough cameras on the market increases and the features offered on these models gets even more impressive. In 2013, the top rugged ca...
Best Super Zoom Compact Cameras (2013)
For outdoor enthusiasts who like to take photos of wildlife or for photographers who like to capture detail of distant people or objects, a super zoom compac...
Nikon AW100 vs Panasonic TS4
So you've been thinking about buying a waterproof camera and you've narrowed it down to the Nikon AW100 vs the Panasonic TS4. Which one should you buy? In a...
Weather-Sealed Pentax K-30 is an Affordable Waterproof DSLR
While avid water-loving photographers are still waiting for a truly waterproof DSLR camera that can be submerged in a pool, lake or ocean, Pentax's weather-s...