Compact Cameras with Time Lapse Function
Capture time lapse photos easily with these cameras
Are you looking for cameras with time lapse function? A camera with a built-in interval timer makes it much easier to capture time lapse photos because it will continuously shoot at set intervals without any effort on your part. This is great for capturing the changing colors of sunrise or sunset, watching flowers opening up in the sun, or recording any other progressive event. Fortunately, several manufacturers now offer compact cameras with time lapse function so you can just set the camera and let it do the work. Here's a sample of some of the models currently available.
(Image: Pentax Optio WG-3 GPS available on Amazon. See link below)
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 - A rugged compact camera with time lapse feature
The Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 is a great all-around compact camera that is loaded with features, including time lapse mode. Just select the start time, interval time and the numbers of picture to shoot and let the camera do the rest. And if you leave it outside to capture your time lapse images, there's no need to worry about rain. The Lumix TS4 is also with four-way rugged protection against water, dust, cold temperatures and accidental falls - it's waterproof to 40 feet, shockproof to falls from 6.6 feet, freezeproof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit and dustproof - so you can take it just about anywhere. With a built-in GPS, compass, altimeter and barometer, you'll always know exactly where you're at. This is an extremely versatile camera that you can take with you just about anywhere without worrying about the elements.
- 12.1 MP sensor
- Waterproof, dustproof, shockproof and freezeproof
- Full 1920x1080p HD video
- 2.7" LCD
- Leica lens
Nikon Coolpix P7000 - A point-and-shoot camera with built-in time lapse function
Set the interval timer and get ready to capture great photos with the Nikon Coolpix P7000. The 10.1 MP sensor, 7.1x Wide Zoom-Nikkor ED Lens and 3-Inch LCD will help you frame and take perfect shots every time. And when you're ready to get out of time-lapse mode and catch the action, the ultra-fast start-up time, subject tracking and continuous shooting at 1.3 fps will help ensure you never miss that once-in-a-lifetime shot. The P7000 also includes features such as red-eye correction, smile timer, Face Priority AF, Skin Softening, and 18 scene modes for optimized settings in a variety of situations.
- 10.1-megapixel resolution, large 1/1.7-inch CCD sensor
- 7.1x Wide-Angle Nikkor ED Optical Zoom Glass Lens; 3-inch Ultra-High Resolution (921,000-dot) Clear Color Display
- HD (720p) movie with stereo, mic input jack and HDMI output
- Dial controls for key functions including ISO, white balance, bracketing, exposure compensation and more
- Capture images and video to SD/SDHC memory cards (not included), battery charger is included.
GoPro Hero3 - Time-lapse photography for adventurers
The GoPro series of cameras are made with adventure in mind. They come with various mounts, straps or harnesses to attach this tiny, but powerful camera to your helmet, bike handlebars, skateboard, surfboard, or just about any other type of sports equipment or vehicle. The GoPro Hero3 is waterproof to 197' (60 meters) and has a170-degree wide-angle lens to capture all the action with still images, HD video or time-lapse photos up to every 0.5 seconds.
- 10 Photos Per Second Burst
- VIDEO: HD Resolutions: 1080P 30 FPS, 960P 30 and 48 FPS, 720P 30 and 60 FPS
- PHOTO RESOLUTIONS: 11MP, 8MP, 5 MP
- Wi-Fi BacPacTM + Wi-Fi RemoteTM Compatible: Long range remote control of multiple cameras, Wi-Fi Video Preview + Playback on Smartphone / and Medium 127o FOV VIDEO
Pentax Optio WG-3 GPS - A tough camera with time lapse and many other features
Time lapse photography isn't the only special feature you'll find in the Optio WG-3 or WG-3 GPS. This camera is waterproof to 45 feet, shockproof to falls from 6.5 feet, crush-proof to 100kg of force, freezeproof to 14 degrees Fahrenheit, and dustproof. But that's only the beginning. This 16 MP camera also has a variety of fun features, including digital filters such as starburst, fisheye effect, black & white, sepia, color emphasis and miniature effect. It also offers in-camera cropping, voice memo, multiple scene modes, and, of course, interval shooting. The GPS version also includes geotagging.
- Pentax's 13th generation rugged, adventure proof camera with backlit 16MP CMOS sensor for superior quality and high res imaging
- Waterproof to a depth of 40 feet, shock proof to 5 feet, cold proof to 14 degrees F, dustproof
- Wide angle internal optical zoom (28-140mm equivalent)
- Large 3" LCD w/HVGA resolution
- Full HD 1080p video at 30FPS with high quality h.264 compression
Cameras with time lapse function can take amazing photos.
Nikon Coolpix S30 - A family-friendly and budget-friendly model with simple time lapse mode
The Nikon Coolpix is being marketed as a camera that's easy enough for everyone to use, but it comes with plenty of features at a family-friendly price. It's the cheapest camera on this page with time lapse mode. The 10.1 MP Coolpix S30 digital camera has 3x Zoom Nikkor Glass lens and 2.7-inch LCD. It's waterproof and shockproof, making it great for kids, and time lapse is one of several available shooting modes on this camera. You're limited to intervals of every 30 seconds, every minute or every 5 minutes, but for a simple point-and-shoot camera at an entry-level price, the time lapse function on this camera is a bargain.
- 10.1 Megapixel CCD sensor
- 3x Zoom-NIKKOR glass lens
- 2.7-inch Bright LCD Monitor
- HD (720p) Movies
Brinno TLC200 Time Lapse and Stop Motion HD Video Camera - Made specifically for capturing time lapse photos
If you're planning to do a lot of time lapse photography, the Brinno TLC200 was designed for you. It's easy to operate and can be mounted on a tripod or used on any flat surface. Simply turn it on, set your preferred interval (from 1 second to 24 hours), focus, and let the camera do the rest. The TLC200 can output AVI or JPEG formats and runs on 4 AA batteries.
- Designed to make HD time lapse photography simple, yet has the flexibility to change lenses and custom program time intervals for the serious time lapse movie maker (wide angle lens sold separately)
- Advanced power management provides months of battery life for extended duration capture periods
- 1.44 inch LCD preview screen allows for accurate targeting of subjects and precise framing of scenes
- To use, simply turn it on, set a time interval, aim the camera and wait for video to finish
- Optional external shutter release is available for creating stop action movies (model ATS100 Shutter Line sold separately).
Amazing Time Lapse Video of Yosemite - by Shawn Reeder
Here's an amazing example of what you can do with time lapse photos. This video was created by Shawn Reeder and includes approximately 7000 individual images.
You Might Also Like... - More pages about photography
Most Popular DSLRs
What are the most popular DSLRs today? As new camera models come out, the list of bestselling digital SLRs changes, too. This page updates the most popular D...
New Waterproof Cameras 2012
Waterproof cameras have been around for decades, but it wasn't until 2005 that the first underwater digital camera hit the market. Now there are new models c...
Digital Cameras with Geotagging Functions
Have you ever been on vacation and taken a photo, only to get home and forget where the image was taken? Or have you ever spent hours adding geo tags to your...
Which Pink Canon Camera?
Are you looking for a pink Canon camera? If you're here, color may be one of the factors you're considering in a camera, but what other features do you want ...
GoPro Sample Videos and Underwater Video
What differentiates GoPro cameras from many of the other top rugged cameras on the market is its versatility. Like the others, the GoPro is a waterproof came...
The Best Camera for Pictures of Kids
The other day someone asked me, "What's the best camera for pictures of kids?" As a mom and part-time photographer, I've taken plenty of photos of ...