Do you think the proliferation of cell phones has had negative effects on societ

1. Arthur Windermere profile image83
    Arthur Windermereposted 8 years ago

Do you think the proliferation of cell phones has had negative effects on society? Explain.

2. John Fracchia profile image55
    John Fracchiaposted 8 years ago

Great question.  From a safety perspective, I think that they are useful and perhaps  even necessary.  That said, I think they have contributed to some societal ills as well.  My biggest observation is the loss of personal boundaries.  Too often I've overheard relationship arguments, discussions about sex, and other things that used to be considered an intimate conversation.  Texting in meetings and classes is something that I've also experienced.  I've even heard people answer their cell phone in the bathroom while audibly relieving themselves.  When did that become o.k.?

Beyond the loss of boundaries, we are creating a generation that is very technologically skilled at using the communication tools, while at the same time losing direct interpersonal skills.  The texting feature is contributing to a loss in writing skills in my observation as well.  I'm not against the technology, but I think we need to put it in perspective.   If I had children they might have a cell phone, but it would be restricted to calling their parents, their grandparents and 911.  Period.

3. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 8 years ago

Yes, I can no longer easily distinguish the totally crazy talking to themselves, and the just plain crazy talking on their cell phones.

BTW, I am anxiously awaiting the epidemic of microwave induced brain tumors that is supposedly coming after all the cell-phone users get sufficient exposure.