jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

my laptop keeps freezing

1. profile image45
    john buchananposted 8 years ago

my laptop keeps freezing

2. The10DollarMark profile image59
    The10DollarMarkposted 8 years ago

0. Reboot computer
    1. Get CCleaner or Glary Utilities to clear all temporary files
    2. Check how much of your HD is being taken up. If you are using more than half, you may want to uninstall programs and delete some files
    3. Don't forget to empty your recycle bin
    4. Remove some desktop icons. Desktop icons make loading a computer at first slow
    5. Check your launch manager. Loads of programs make themselves load at startup - you don't want that.
    6. With Glary utilities use the Registry cleaner, shortcuts fixer, spyware remover
    7. Use the windows standard tools to use Checkdisk, and run the Disk Degramenter. Defrag can take several hours.
    8. Run your antivirus
    9. Reboot your computer

A few other things to think about: don't use too many addons for programs and browsers. Don't use too many programs at once, especially if some of those programs are ram-heavy.

3. iowac profile image61
    iowacposted 8 years ago

Is it cold where your laptop lives?

smile no no just kidding, Hard to determine what the issue is without knowing is this a Mac, IBM, where is it freezing, on boot up, when you try to run a program etc.  You can try to follow The10DollarMark's suggestions, but if it is freezing, you might have a hard time doing that, I could suggest a free virus detect n protect, but not sure that will lead you down the right path, with out more info.

Certainly if somethinig is going wrong with the laptop, over heating, hard drive issues, etc

If you can provide a little more info.. does this randomly happen at different times, or only when you load a web page, or a program, on boot up.  Is this XP/Vista/New Windows, etc..

4. RickyRock profile image55
    RickyRockposted 8 years ago

Reinstall your operation system. It will 95% help with your problems!

5. profile image47
    shiftyoneposted 7 years ago

dump your PC and get a macbook pro.  Macs don't crash like pc's do.

6. billycash profile image52
    billycashposted 7 years ago

most of the time this problem can be caused from multiple causes.
    1 a corupted file on your operating system.
    2 a virus or spyware hiding on your computer.
    3 could be a hardware issue too. I had a laptop that would work fine for about 30 min then lock up. I finally found out that it was a thermal problem and once it started to overheat it caused it to lock up, I am not saying this is the problem but checking to see if the case is warmer than usual when it locks up might be worth checking. All I did to fix the problem there was a tiny fan behind some vent holes on the laptop case, I took a can of compressed air (got at walmart in electronics) and blew it out, the air was not venting thru the fan and caused it to overheat.

I hope this helps.