jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Changing a registered web domain to a new host?

1. WryLilt profile image91
    WryLiltposted 7 years ago

Changing a registered web domain to a new host?

If I currently have a blogger blog with a registered domain name and wish to transfer my entire site and information to a paid host using a format such as wordpress, how will it 1.) Affect my site's ranking/duplicity with google and 2.) Is there anything I should consider or do before or during the change?

2. Tony Flanigan profile image60
    Tony Flaniganposted 7 years ago

Hi Wry.

This is a situation I'll be facing soonish.

My modus operandi will be:
    1) Arrange domain and hosting.
    2) Install wordpress
    3) Article by article, move the content to wordpress.
    4) As the article is generated on Wordpress, leave a link to the newly created post/page, with a message that the content has been moved.

Now, Blogger blogs, as far as I know, don't really have a page rank as such, so, That is not a problem. If you have followers, let them know well in advance that you're moving.

By moving your content (DON'T just copy it. Copy it, and then delete it.), you won't have any duplicate content hassle.

Oh yes, moving to Wordpress is a great move. WP3 is great. I use Blogger at the moment to define what direction my WP blog should take.

3. parliament profile image61
    parliamentposted 7 years ago

You can use google's "webmaster tools" to notify a url change.

4. Marisa Wright profile image98
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

WryLilt, it won't affect your ranking with Google at all - that's the good thing about having the domain name. 

If you'd had an ordinary .blogspot blog, and transferred all the content to a paid host with a new domain name, you'd have lost 100% of your ranking with Google.

I would get your new site set up first, then transfer your content.  Only delete your content from the Blogger blog once you're sure your new site is up and running.  Having duplicate content for a day won't hurt.

If you're using Wordpress on the new site, you should be able to export your blog from Blogger and import it into Wordpress in one hit. 

As you've probably realised, there's no point following Tony's advice on pointing your old blogger blog to your new site - because all your visitors will simply find themselves at your new site automatically.

working