with governmental mandated computer charting and required electronic records, as

1. meow48 profile image75
    meow48posted 7 years ago

with governmental mandated computer charting and required electronic records, as a nurse, i feel...

like i am taking better care of my computers than my patients.  Does anyone else feel that personal care of the patient is now secondary?

2. wychic profile image90
    wychicposted 7 years ago

In many ways, I think it is...and sadly, it's not the fault of the health care providers, but rather the people who will find any and all reasons to file a lawsuit and the insurance companies that are all too happy to settle (without even telling the doctor!) and raise the price of their malpractice insurance to astronomical levels. Because of this, patients end up paying for all sorts of things to be done that don't really do anything for them, it's just there so that if it ever goes to court the doctor can say they did everything in their power. Granted, I see it from a slightly different angle...I do medical transcription and am learning the coding and billing side, and my husband is a surgical tech/first assistant...but the growing necessity for extras just to protect in case someone needs a scapegoat seems to have severely affected all facets of health care. (Speaking from a US point of view, in case any other countries chime in)

3. meow48 profile image75
    meow48posted 7 years ago

thankyou for your prompt response, wychic.  I spend three to four hours a night on charting and another two on medications, scanning and what not.  that leaves about 8 hours of my twelve hour shift that i can offer to six patients, that is, if one of them do not go bad, then it is another hour of charting, and administrative stuff required. and leaves me with less time, also if i transfer a pt, then i get an admit.  Sometimes i leave thinking the patients really were on their own tonight. also, it is the computer that my managers are looking at, not the care.  So I will get in more trouble if i miss something in the computer, than i would if i miss something on a patient.  sad but true.

working