jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Would you buy a custom made computer from someone and have them build it for a f

1. netslums profile image84
    netslumsposted 7 years ago

Would you buy a custom made computer from someone and have them build it for a fee?

I am trying to figure out if this is a good business idea. I want to know what everyone thinks about paying someone else to build a computer for you. You would have to pay for all the parts, but I would consult you first on a price range and then pick the parts that suit your need and then build the computer. The computer would be cheaper than one bought at a store, mostly because pre-built computers have a pretty high mark-up because they are already assembled. Any thoughts on this business? Is this a good idea or not?

2. Cobrafan profile image78
    Cobrafanposted 7 years ago

I don't think it would be a very good idea. The majority of computer customers will go to Staples, BestBuy, WalMart, etc and pick up a cheap computer that can handle basic word processing and internet browsing. For those who want high end gaming or graphics oriented computers, there are already numerous big-name companies out there that can build you some of the most badass computers. Those same people would also be the type of people that might enjoy building the computer themselves. Honestly, I don't think you'll be able to get much business in the long run. If you wanted to do it as more of a hobby than a full time business, I could see it working out better.

3. shivaremala profile image60
    shivaremalaposted 7 years ago

I do the same thing. First I will list down all the equipment including the motherboard., RAM, monitor and other computer accessories.

I learnt computer hardworking when I was sixteen, so I can assemble a complete PC out of the individual parts I bought.

I save around 10,000 INR ($200+). Plus, I know what equipment my PC has, as I bought each and everything personally.

4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

I think it's a great business idea, and I personally know several people who buy custom computers.  There's a small business in my hometown where a guy does just that

5. netslums profile image84
    netslumsposted 7 years ago

@Shivaremala - Are you saying that you have a business where you build people's computers for them? Or are you saying that you built a computer for yourself. If you ARE talking about a business, how successful is it? Do you make a decent earning?

6. vietnamvet68 profile image60
    vietnamvet68posted 7 years ago

That would depend on what you plan on using your computor for. If you are just using it for basic web searches, writing  and emailing then NO, a basic computor would do.
    On the other hand If you are lets say a Graphic Artist and you need your computor for your art projects then YES is the answer, because you would want one with more power and capabilities. Hope this answer helps.

7. bpssi profile image50
    bpssiposted 7 years ago

I don't know... Like on the one hand, I wouldn't mind having a boutique computer, but they're so expensive. I mean, I'd love to drive a customized BMW, too. When there are sites like this http://www.cheetahdeals.com/Refurbished … s_s/25.htm that sell, like, refurbished laptops so inexpensively, it doesn't really seem worth it to me, personally. I'd rather spend the difference on other stuff, like eating out.

working