The Constant Evolution of Windows OS

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image83
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12145140.jpg
    I have been using Microsoft OS since the days of MS DOS and there was no UI. When Windows 3.1 came out I thought that was quite a unique change and it made me not have to remember all those command codes. Then Windows 95 came out and I was happy but when Windows 98 came out I was elated! I only became excited again when Windows XP was born and not since then have I been duly impressed. Windows 7 was the closest in usability to XP and I simply despaired when Windows 8 came out.

This morning I read about the emergence of Windows 10 and it just seems that truly Microsoft’s focus is on sales. After all, it’s in business to make money and not necessarily to please the public. Televisions basically function the same—they are thinner and have many basic advantages but they can be used the same. People did have to adjust to a more digital world with them but other than that it was business as usual.

I am really getting tired of trying to get used to another operating system. Am I alone with this or is there anyone else out there just as “feed up” as I am?

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I guess my biggest complaint is when Microsoft decides to discontinue those much needed updates also forcing you to get a better operating system. However, since your computer may not have the needed requirements for the upgrade guess what? You need to buy a new computer! In my house/home office I have: Windows 98 Computer, Windows XP Computer, Windows 7 Laptop Computers, and Windows 8.1. I have a ton of great software but all the previous OS are needed to run them!

2. Jacqueline4390 profile image83

And please ... don't let me get on the subject of Internet Explorer! That thing is demonic! Right before my very eyes it will freeze up, change my websites and NO its not a virus. Because if I use Google Chrome, I have smooth sailing!

3. Jacqueline4390 profile image83

NEWS FLASH: I just found out that Microsoft will let those who have Windows 7, Windows 8 and 8.1 upgrade to Windows 10 for free for the first year (YAHOO! Tech). It looks like someone really wants us to make the change!

I decided to do my research on Windows 10 and I must admit that I am impressed. (And it takes an awful lot to impress me!) The Start Menu has returned and although there will be Charms ... you have the options of how to use them. Its stated that its the best parts of both Windows 7 and Windows 8. While Joe B. of Microsoft was explaining about the changes; I saw a lot of things that I would definitely like about it. But, as someone else had mention ... it would be better to wait until some of the bugs have been worked out.

I am not sure whether or not there will be subscription for Windows 10 but unless a person upgrades during the free first year there will probably be some type of fee for upgrading later on. Another commenter mentioned that it should be free for XP and Vista users as well but its probably not due to hardware requirements.

I am definitely going to keep a lookout for further developments on this. It's not available until later on during the year but when it is ... I am definitely going to upgrade at least one of my computers to give it a test drive. Maybe it won't be as bad as I first thought in my beginning comments. We will see!

2. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

I had to replace a perfectly good printer/scanner because it would not/could not communicate with Windows 8, and there were no new drivers made available. What a waste. The printer wasn't that old.

Exactly! There is nothing wrong with my other computers as well. Even my Windows 98 computer was "built to last" and so far it has outlast most of my operating systems!

3. aesta1 profile image90
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

We just had that experience and had to learn Windows all over again. Of course, the program purchase is where they get their money.

Yes, this is definitely where they get their money but I often wonder if the consumer could have more input. Why can't I decide when its time for an upgrade and why can't it be based on my needs and not what they think I should have!

1. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
        Ramkitten2000posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Definitely +1 on that! If that were the case, I'd still be working with a few OS versions ago.

4. rainsanmartin profile image85
    rainsanmartinposted 9 years ago

It does seem early for Windows 10 to be released, yet I believe this is because users have not been happy with Window 8. I'm a user from the early days as well and Windows 7 was much closer to the original 1990's Windows experience than the radical shift to Windows 8. It is a completely different operating system experience. Also I prefer to purchase software once, rather than have a reoccurring monthly subscription. This shift in software trends has made me turn to "open source" unfortunately, as I love to support businesses. Also have you noted how software apps for the iPad and other mobile devices seem overly simplified, as though they are made for children? I love to dive into multifaceted software and games that have depth.

I have all but put my IPad out to pasture. It gets an occasional airing every now and then but I use my Dell Windows 8 tablet. Now for tablets ... Windows 8.1 is good ... not just Windows 8. They need to pump up their selections of Microsoft Games but since I can use the same type of games that I use on my PC; I am satisfied.

However, please Microsoft quit "improving" on something that really didn't work that great the first time. You had a winner with XP and even with Windows 7 but now you want to turn all our PCs into touchscreens. Do you know that when that touchscreen wears out you are really in a pickle ... especially if it's an all-in-one!

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

If you have Windows 8, do not buy Windows 10. There are reliable rumors that Windows 8 users will be able to upgrade to Windows 10 for free. A tacit admission on Microsoft's part that Windows 8 was/is less than stellar. Personally, for those of us who just use our computers as internet terminals, I'd say use Linux; but that's just me.

6. jjheathcoat profile image76
    jjheathcoatposted 9 years ago

Windows XP is still my favorite Microsoft OS by far. I was sad when they announced they would no longer support it. I bought a new laptop and desktop within a year of each other, both coming with 8. Patooie. The tile function would be fine if I had touchscreen devices, which I do not. The only reason I haven't dumped it for Linux is gaming compatibility, (Seriously considering downgrading to 7 though.)

I have so many great games that run on Windows XP. That is my favorite as well. I use my McAfee (so glad for it) and when I have heavy Internet usage; I use my Windows 8.1. A lot of my games have multiple platforms which is also good since I plan on keeping all my systems.

7. Ramkitten2000 profile image92
    Ramkitten2000posted 9 years ago

Yep. It's definitely not an industry that promotes conservation. It's very wasteful when people are pretty much forced to get rid of perfectly good equipment because of updates and so-called improvements. Very frustrating.

I also think that with Business its okay to make all these changes but with consumers who are using this on a personal basis ... c'mon now. Every day consumers are not in need of the constant changes. Come out with Windows for Business Users which updates every year (if they can afford it) and Windows for Personal Users which has a choice of updates for the mature Operating System and upgrades for those who are ready to move on to something more dynamic! This could please everyone!

8. gposchman profile image59
    gposchmanposted 9 years ago

My laptop has Windows 8, my wife's desktop has Windows 7. I am leery to update to anything that is free for the first year, that implies that later years will require a fee.

I use open office, and although I have not looked into it, I suppose that Netflix will run on a Linux based system, so I suppose that is the way of the future for me.

Gene Poschman

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Last time I looked, Netflix doesn't. But it darn well better be on their to-do list, otherwise I will become very perturbed with them; especially since youtube runs on Linux just fine.

1. gposchman profile image59
        gposchmanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have Roku connected to my TV, why doesn't Netflix just work through the Browser, I wonder?
        Gene Poschman

9. profile image52
    michael harley86posted 9 years ago

I think the digital upgrade is wonderful. I'm a screenwriter so I'm always trying to think of ways of how I am going to watch movies and television on a convient level.

Anyone who has possessed either an IPad or an Android know about digital upgrades and they are always free. I have been using the upgrades and it seems like each one is better than the former. I am believing that in the long-run the Microsoft Upgrade will be the same. I have a total of 6 different computer desktops/laptops from Windows 98, Vista, XP, 7 & 8 as well as tablets and each one has compatible software that provides me much pleasure.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have an OS that could be compatible both forward and backward. You'd never have to keep buying new software and would be able to use your favorites on any system. Purchase new software when you wanted to and NOT because you have to! Talk about a "perfect work environment!"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)