jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How can an technically-unskilled person like me, protect themselves from a profe

1. ThunderKeys profile image64
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

How can an technically-unskilled person like me, protect themselves from a professional  hacker?

Our bank recently informed that someone was trying to illegally access our online bank account. Our internet service provider security supervisor told us that the security software and monitoring they provide protects us from malware and viruses, and that it has to have been hacking. How can we protect ourselves from hackers?

2. tritrain profile image84
    tritrainposted 7 years ago

Avoid unsecure wifi networks.

Install AVG, MalwareBytes, and Comodo Firewall.

Do not log into important sites, like your bank account or email, if you are on an unsecure network.

Do not follow links that are sent to you via email, unless you are expecting the email w/the links.

If in doubt, you are probably right.

3. guerrarj profile image62
    guerrarjposted 7 years ago

Well, Even if your provider says that the service protect you against viruses and malware, I recommend to always have an anti virus and a anti spyware running locally on your machine and both updated. Second, turn on your firewall. And most important, never , ever , open suspicious emails, accept files from unknown persons and give secure information through web. Hope it helps. Take care.

4. profile image0
    Todd228posted 7 years ago

My bank offers a service that will allow the bank to pay your bills online using their server rather than your own which could cut down the amount of info a hacker could get from your computer.  All else I know is to keep the antivirus software updated and running!

5. ThunderKeys profile image64
    ThunderKeysposted 7 years ago

Thank you for the great advice. I'll try these things out. Is one anti-virus better than another? (or maybe that's another question)?

- Duddy.

6. vinner profile image76
    vinnerposted 7 years ago

Be carefull that is the only way to protect yourself from hackers. Always be uptodate with security patches in windows and also try linux which is comparitively less prone to viruses and hacks

7. usenetreviewz profile image61
    usenetreviewzposted 6 years ago

Installing a VPN software solution might help a bit ..

if you haven't heard of it -- Firesheep is a new hacking sotware made available to the public and you at least probably should make yourself aware of how to protect against those type of common attacks

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ … ep_attacks

Here is one VPN software that I personally use and like

I did a video for you there