jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

Can I use a photo I take of a tourist site in an on-line review?

1. Eve Foss profile image72
    Eve Fossposted 7 years ago

Can I use a photo I take of a tourist site in an on-line review?

Or do I have to get the site's permission to use the photo on-line?

2. LuisEGonzalez profile image86
    LuisEGonzalezposted 7 years ago

Yes, why not? Anything that is within public view is a "free for all", and this includes gov.  web sites, publications etc.

3. simeonvisser profile image85
    simeonvisserposted 7 years ago

@LuisEGonzalez: No, that is absolutely false. You cannot take anything from any website just because it's online. The photo is most likely copyrighted and you cannot simply use it.

If you really want that particular photo, you need to contact the website. An easier way is to find a similar photo that has been licensed under a free license. In particular in the area of travel and tourism that shouldn't be too difficult, there are so many photos of every corner of the planet that you can usually find another photo (which is free) of that beach or that building.

Search for photos licensed under a free license, for example on commons.wikimedia.org (such as the Creative Commons licenses).

4. Eve Foss profile image72
    Eve Fossposted 7 years ago

Just to clarify, I am the photographer, and I want to use the photo on my own site or hub. I am not wanting to use someone else's pictures.

1. nifwlseirff profile image97
      nifwlseirffposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If you mean a physical tourist site - some are protected, and won't allow you to publish photos on any medium. If you have signed a contract with a website, so that it 'owns' your photo or has an exclusive license, you can't re-use it. Best to check!

5. MBDungo profile image58
    MBDungoposted 7 years ago

Yes you can, but if you insert that photo on your Hub, don't forget to put a source where URL did you get it.

6. Ralph Thorndyke profile image37
    Ralph Thorndykeposted 7 years ago

The correct and web etiquette polite thing to do is to contact the site owner and ask permission. Assuming that the photo in question actually belongs to him and he didn't himself just go grab it somewhere, then honor is served.

The problem with going the honest route is that if the owner doesn't write back, then he is alerted that you want his photo. If it's his very favorite photo in the whole wide world, and you use it, then this might start a confrontation.

So, you could just out and out swipe it.
    Be polite and write.
    Use it with accreditation.

The only completely correct answer is to ask first. But whatever you do, be sure to download it. Never just point a link at it so you're using his server to serve the pic to your site. Now that is the worst and will for sure make any webmaster ill when they discover it.

working