jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can sitting in front of a bright computer screen keep you from being able to sle

1. Naomi's Banner profile image79
    Naomi's Bannerposted 6 years ago

Can sitting in front of a bright computer screen keep you from being able to sleep at night?

I have noticed lately I have been having trouble sleeping since I have been writing on HubPages. Didn't know if it is the brightness of the computer screen, the over stimulation from reading such great stories, or just staying up later than usual due to being hooked on HubPages.

2. lburmaster profile image83
    lburmasterposted 6 years ago

Tv's and laptop or computer screens are known to damage your eye sight a bit so it is wise to wear glasses when reading, watching tv, playing video games, or staying up on the computer. Also if you are doing any of these activities before you sleep, your mind is still thinking on what you have been doing. It will take a while for your mind to get in the mood for sleep unless you can put your brain in sleep mode on command.

3. rsully13 profile image65
    rsully13posted 6 years ago

Yep - the light from the screen will mess up your internal clock which will keep you from getting sleepy and more importantly keep your body from getting ready to sleep.  You become 'sleepy' because of melatonin production by your body.  TV screens, computer screens and bright lit rooms keep you from producing melatonin which then keeps you awake!  The best idea is to plan a bedtime, set an alarm for an hour before that, and go through a night-time routine before getting into bed.

4. AlexK2009 profile image93
    AlexK2009posted 6 years ago

Switch off the computer and take a break before sleeping. In this break, or even when in bed, read something, preferably nothing makes you think, then switch the light off and focus on your breathing or watch the lights  dancing in front of your  eyes.

working