jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Do you enjoy reading books or would you rather read from a computer screen and/o

1. sholland10 profile image93
    sholland10posted 6 years ago

Do you enjoy reading books or would you rather read from a computer screen and/or e-reader?

Are books going out of style?

2. L.L. Woodard profile image77
    L.L. Woodardposted 6 years ago

There will never be anything to take the place of a real book in my mind. But many people are enjoying their reading on e-readers, and that's okay, too. The important issue is that people continue to read, whatever the medium.

3. freecampingaussie profile image63
    freecampingaussieposted 6 years ago

I like to curl up with a good book & don't have to worry about the battery dying at a cruicial moment !!
    However the e books are handy .

4. msreader profile image53
    msreaderposted 6 years ago

I love my e-reader, but also have a good collection of books. If I really like a book that I wish to share, it is bought. I will read on my computer from time to time, but it does tire the eyes!

The best thing about my e-reader is the ability to tote around multiple books.

5. profile image0
    23nigamposted 6 years ago

i always prefer reading books rather then using e-readers because if you read on an e-reader for a few hours your eyes will get sore and tired whereas you can go on reading a book for hours and you eyes wont get tired and thats a real plus for me

6. Sarah Masson profile image69
    Sarah Massonposted 6 years ago

I definitely prefer the real thing. Books are amazing and it's the whole point of holding them and turning the pages that makes it better smile

7. sholland10 profile image93
    sholland10posted 6 years ago

I am old school and love my books.  I love reading them and collecting them.  I am also a literature teacher, and I am looking down all avenues to engage my students to read.  They do not want to read books.  School system funding at this point cannot afford to buy e-readers or netbooks for all kids.  I had to do my own research, though, so I could talk to the kids about it.  I bought a Kindle, and I like it.  As a collector of books, I love having a whole personal library at my hands, and I love how the dictionary can be pulled up when I run across an unfamiliar word. Most kids are not going to take the time to get the dictionary out.  I am torn between the beautiful experience of reading a book and the excitement of reading on the Kindle.

8. Ancillotti profile image60
    Ancillottiposted 6 years ago

I like having the book in my hands to read it. To browse page by page, smell it. Do not compare to the reading on a screen.

9. Denise Handlon profile image91
    Denise Handlonposted 6 years ago

I prefer holding a book in my hands, although I also use an Ereader I received from my daughters last Christmas.  However, there is NOTHING that will take the place of a book, the smell and feel of it...especially reading picture books to my grandkids or other children.

Can you imagine telling your children-climb up on my lap and I'll read you an e story?    LOL

10. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 6 years ago

They've come a long way with digital screens so that the e-readers out now don't hurt your eyes very much. But I'm not a fan of my book running out of batteries either. With cell phones, computers and everything else that's online, reading a book can feel very relaxing. Why ruin that by connecting it to the internet?

11. Unmasked profile image56
    Unmaskedposted 6 years ago

I much, much, much, much prefer real books. The feel of the paper and the heft in your hands cannot be replaced by something electronic. I get a special thrill out of walking into a bookstore and actually thumbing through the selections to pick one. My daughter is now growing in her love of books and I can't imagine just handing her an ereader and telling her I'll download her her stories. It is so much better to hand her a real book and watch her shelves fill with the beautiful pages.