jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Is reading on a computer bad for your eyesight?

1. quildon profile image80
    quildonposted 2 years ago

Is reading on a computer bad for your eyesight?

Is reading on a cell phone, tablet or other reading device easier on the eyes than reading on a computer screen?

2. Superkev profile image84
    Superkevposted 2 years ago

I think it is easier to read a full sized pc screen in most cases, I have found that using a program called 'Redshift' (http://jonls.dk/redshift/) definitely helps with those late nights at the computer screen in greatly reducing eye strain.

quildonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I have found that it is easier to read on a full-sized screen, but I heard someone say that smaller screens are easier on the eyes. My eyes feel sore after a day at work. Never heard of Redshift though. I'll check it out right now.

3. Babbyii profile image81
    Babbyiiposted 2 years ago

Probably on smaller devices like a cell phone. I do a lot of reading on a tablet. Its a bit bigger than a paperback book.  It's convenient.  Agree with Superkev. Laptop is probably better.

Thanks, Barb. I guess anything that is overdone is bad, but I enjoy reading on my tablet as well. It's so handy.

4. Faith Reaper profile image88
    Faith Reaperposted 2 years ago

Probably all are not great for the eyes and one should take breaks and rest one's eyes from all such devices.  I know my eyes are sore about a day at work on the computer.  I have to remember to look up and out to the farthest point to give my eyes rest and refocusing away from the screen.

Thanks, Faith. My eyes are sore after a day at work too that's why I was wondering if I use the tablet for emailing and things like that, if it would give me some relief.

5. M. T. Dremer profile image94
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I think it's worse with electronic devices because they're back-lit. It's kind of like focusing on a light bulb for six hours straight. There is a rule out there that is something like 15 minute breaks for every hour of computer use.

Yes, I've heard of that rule. Not always possible at work though. Thanks for stopping by.

working