jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

What is the best kind of computer for a college student?

1. WittyWeddings profile image68
    WittyWeddingsposted 6 years ago

What is the best kind of computer for a college student?

I don't do gaming but I do write a lot. I'm pretty clueless as to what kind of computers are better than the other.

2. mad goat profile image62
    mad goatposted 6 years ago

Hi

Well, first you better decide if you want a notebook or a desktop pc.
    notebook is a all-in-one *mobile and compact* solution and although some are quite heavy and have short battery, today there are some good real mobile laptops for reasonable prices.

Cons:
    pricy - generally, you can less performance and/or quality of one of the components for the same $$$: 600$ laptop will have at least one lesser component - mediocre display/cheap case/heavy/low battery life/very ugly.

Anyway, what's your price limit and will you need only writing/internet/watching movies and such? or are you going to edit heavy videos?

3. supplies expert profile image60
    supplies expertposted 6 years ago

I feel like most colleges now prefer students to have laptops, I know that for my major it was mandatory to have laptops since we typically had to use them during class and had to bring them everywhere with us. 

If you're really only using it for writing papers and researching stuff, you wouldn't need a ridiculously expensive laptop.  Just get something that would be reliable, personally I find HP's to be pretty reliable, although I'm sure some people will argue they are not.

Realistically if you want the best laptop that you know you'll have no issues with, I would then go with a macbook, but really for your uses there is no need for the huge investment required in purchasing a macbook.  So I'd stick with a regular Windows based Laptop, just is easier to use and well cheaper as well.

4. hollyhock profile image38
    hollyhockposted 6 years ago

Here are some specification I think appropriate for you
    1. choose a Laptop, not desktop
    2. a core2duo laptop with 2GB RAM is more than enough
    3. at least 1TB Hard disc
    5. Medium quality brand such as DELL, TOSHIBA, HP, you do not need high quality brand such as APPLE, VAIO,
    6. Screen size should not be smaller than 16" 
    7. It is assumed that you are not a student of multimedia, multimedia software require high performance pc, that I am not referring for you.
    ..........Happy college life

5. WebsiteRockstars profile image59
    WebsiteRockstarsposted 6 years ago

I would get a Mac.  It is more expensive, but you will have less headaches and most schools seem to be going toward Macs.  I love my MacBook Pro 13.

working