jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Is it possible to upgrade Old laptops to run on new high performance Processors.

1. itech profile image78
    itechposted 7 years ago

Is it possible to upgrade Old laptops to run on new high performance Processors.

2. prasannastudies profile image60
    prasannastudiesposted 7 years ago

ya it is possible to upgrade your laptops with best recommended configuration. sometime it may not very effective or you will get best accessories for your laptops.

3. decoway profile image59
    decowayposted 7 years ago

it is possible. But I think it will be more cost effective to buy a new one. You can use the old one as a backup.

4. technotips profile image56
    technotipsposted 7 years ago

For that you'll have to replace some parts like motherboard, processor and RAM. So instead I would advise you to purchase a new one.

5. kschang profile image89
    kschangposted 7 years ago

In general, very unlikely.

In order to save space, processors are usually directly soldered onto the board instead of using a socket. Therefore, the laptop must be completely disassembled, mainboard removed, then CPU unsoldiered in order to put one in.

Furthermore, CPU advances often requires a wholesale change of socket interface. First popular x86 CPU, the 8088, only has 40 (or 44) pins. Current i7 uses LGA1366, which has 1366 pins (no kidding). All the innards would be different.

Thus, the answer to your question is "usually not worth the effort".

6. darntoothysam profile image58
    darntoothysamposted 7 years ago

It depends on the age of the laptop.. when you say "old", how old?

The motherboard has a certain socket configuration for the CPU, so only CPUs with that socket will fit the motherboard.

CPUs are NOT soldered to the motherboard. This isn't the 80's. Did you really mention the 8088 CPU kschang? Really?

You don't have to change the motherboard; in fact you CANT! No other motherboard will fit your laptop other than the one that came with it or one from an upgraded model of that same laptop in which case the only upgrade would be CPU, RAM and HD size with the exact same motherboard.

You don't have the change the RAM. What would the RAM have to do with changing the CPU? Nothing.

I bought an Acer for $300 at Best Buy, it came with a lame single core CPU. I bought a faster dual core CPU on eBay for $20 and installed it in about 30 minutes. Here's how to do it on my laptop, step by step:

http://www.darntoothysam.com/blog/2010/ … 32-laptop/

So tired of people who say "just spend $800 on a new one, you can't do anything yourself".

working