jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Can the internet ever get 'full up'?

1. Les Trois Chenes profile image91
    Les Trois Chenesposted 6 years ago

Can the internet ever get 'full up'?

2. sparkster profile image92
    sparksterposted 6 years ago

No, the internet can never get 'full up'.  Internet pages and media basically just require storage and we are now in the days of the terrobyte (1,024 GB).  Storage media is becoming larger and larger, faster and more advanced.  It doesn't matter how much information there is on the internet more can always be added.  It doesn't all get accessed at the same time either so bandwidth is never an issue.  However it is possible, if you have enough storage, to actually download the entire internet.

3. beemailme profile image60
    beemailmeposted 6 years ago

Actually, experts have predicted this to happen around 2010.  They say that with increased bandwidth usage, we will experience something like the effect of an internet "traffic jam".  Computers will freeze up and we will have brownouts, with periods of frozen and slow internet access.  Another contributing factor to the internet getting too full is the lack of available IP addresses (a unique number assigned to every computer). 

I guess in theory it is feasible for the internet to get full if we use up all of our resources for transmitting information.  The internet is actually a network of computer networks that depend upon its electronic infrastructure to transmit information.  So if you think about bandwidth as the internet highway and the ip addresses as the locations of such information, then the question remains "How do we prevent the internet from getting full?"

4. supplies expert profile image61
    supplies expertposted 6 years ago

Well since it's 2011 I think that theory of the internet being 'full up' by 2010 is not happening. I agree that we will not have to worry about it being filled up and inaccessible, since storage space is becoming more and more compact I don't think we will need to worry about the fact that we will run out of space. As for bandwidth we don't need to worry too much about that as sparkster said, we don't access enough of the internet all at once to make it slow down too much.

working