jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Do you think texting is bad?

1. wellspoken profile image60
    wellspokenposted 6 years ago

Do you think texting is bad?

Is texting bad because you can't detect the intended emotion behind the words your reading? Is it making life more impersonal? Do people hide behind text messaging?

2. yusefblack profile image61
    yusefblackposted 6 years ago

All of those are possible; but really, i find it a great communication tool when communicating something simple, nothing deep, no anger, no marriage proposals, and it cannot be a replacement for a real conversation or argument.

I do hide behind them, when I do, I find in the end I lose and also cause too much not fun stuff

3. supplies expert profile image60
    supplies expertposted 6 years ago

Texting is great for its initial purpose which was to send quick messages to people. Now that it has pretty much replaced talking on the phone I think it's pretty bad. It is tough to sense sarcasm and emotion through text, not that I think it makes life more impersonal though since our lives are not lived through text messaging, or at least I hope not.

I do believe though that people should have more courage and just pick up the phone more often. My biggest pet peeve is when someone ignores a call and texts you and says what's up? Why wouldn't they just pick up the phone?

4. kootheancheah profile image57
    kootheancheahposted 6 years ago

Texting is very useful if you want to send a quick message or if you're unable to speak on the phone to someone at that time. For example, if you're in a meeting and you need to communicate quickly with someone at that time, you can easily text him. However, for other important commnunications, you should call the person or talk to him personally. Some have avoided the personal commnunications by texting which is bad--for example, breaking up with someone or even divorcing the partner.

Of course, it is always bad to text when you're driving and people do!

working