jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Do radio and television stations know exactly when you change the channel? Thank

1. Just For Fun profile image93
    Just For Funposted 6 years ago

Do radio and television stations know exactly when you change the channel? Thanks in advance.

2. kschang profile image88
    kschangposted 6 years ago

No they don't. All such "listner / watcher" figures are derived from surveys and Nielsen studies where they put monitor boxes on some people's TV's to look for such channel changes.

3. supplies expert profile image59
    supplies expertposted 6 years ago

I think TV stations know exactly when a person leaves their station, not who, and not to where, but they have a raw number of viewers. But as for what kschang had said it is only Nielsen and other providers who give people boxes so they can monitor their TV watching habits in more depth.

4. mkronline profile image60
    mkronlineposted 6 years ago

With cable? Maybe, though I doubt the cable companies share info on specific subscribers. Terrestrial broadcast (towers and stuff) is one-way (so no statistics), but I don't know about satellite radio.

5. Time Spiral profile image90
    Time Spiralposted 6 years ago

If you have certain receivers in your home, then the TV service provider, and sometimes their affiliates, can get A LOT of two way data from you.

So the answer is: Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. It depends. It may not be the station, but the service provider and some affiliates certainly can in some cases.

6. clintonb profile image59
    clintonbposted 6 years ago

I know a radio station..the workings i mean..and you dont know that. Ratings come on a whole..for a month every hourly basis.

working