jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

How long do files stay in the temp folder?

1. Doctor Kristy profile image90
    Doctor Kristyposted 6 years ago

How long do files stay in the temp folder?

I opened an email attachment I shouldn't have at work (my payslip - pdf) on a shared computer. OPENED, not saved. Does that stay in a temporary folder somewhere, and how long until it is deleted?

2. rahul0324 profile image84
    rahul0324posted 6 years ago

It is very easy to have temp. files pile up, as you install and uninstall things. You can safely delete everything in the temp folder. You can also look for files with the ".tmp" extension and delete those as well.
    Unless you have a install pending, just delete ALL the files, and folders in the temporary directory. Lazy programs leave their garbage to pile up in the temp directory, and it can grow out of control.

Anything left in the temp direcotry is GARBAGE.

3. vinner profile image77
    vinnerposted 6 years ago

cleaning up temp folder once in a month is a good idea, if your system is of average configuration. me also do not know how long such files will be kept

4. klanguedoc profile image92
    klanguedocposted 6 years ago

If you opened the file from a Web email client like Gmail, the file would be downloaded and stored in the temporary internet files would be erase by policies in the Internet setting of Internet Explorer. Otherwise, the file is erased based on group policies setup in Microsoft Exchange Server, if your company is using Exchange (Outlook). If other email solution is used like Lotus Notes, the file is not saved to the file system.

working