jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What else annoys you about Internet arguing and/or debates?

1. Eric Newland profile image59
    Eric Newlandposted 6 years ago

What else annoys you about Internet arguing and/or debates?

I want to hear some other thoughts on this high-tempered online pasttime.

Don't single out a particular group here. I want things that people on all sides of all arguments are guilty of. Because if there's one thing that unites all of humanity, regardless of affiliation or creed, it's idiocy.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image97
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 6 years ago

It can be easy to get angry, since we don't have the visual and verbal cues we have face-to-face to help us filter things more accurately.

3. Rev. Akins profile image77
    Rev. Akinsposted 6 years ago

My personal favorite is when people insult your parents (usually mother) as an argument or something as equally distant from the topic. Also when people use more profanity than words to express their opinion. It get very difficult for me to understand what their actual argument is between all the profanity.

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 6 years ago

It is easy to be bold and opinionated online because we do not have to look into peoples'e eyes or see their response to our statements.  It is also easy to misinterpret intention and tone online as we do not see someone's body language or hear the smile in their voice.

What annoys me most about it is the prevailing attitude sometimes stated, sometimes insinuated that if we do not agree with the philosophy or ideas that XX put forth then obviously we are uneducated or ill-informed.  That is a very unfair debating tactic.  It is disrespectful, dismissive and arrogant.

5. Brandon Spaulding profile image55
    Brandon Spauldingposted 6 years ago

If people don't think you have a right to say what you want to say the way you want to say it, I have a real problem with that. In my opinion, Barack Obama falls into that category.

6. Nils Visser profile image82
    Nils Visserposted 6 years ago

The anonimity is a potential pitfall, It´s very unlikely that you´ll ever meet face to face with digital opponents, so that seems like a green light to go all out. Next time, pretend it´s  customer or client who´s likely to drop by within a week. Or worse, an in-law.´

7. profile image0
    Starmom41posted 5 years ago

Well, I don't participate in "debates"--  which is another word for arguing--  because:
    1.  I think it's foolish and pointless;
    2.  and a waste of energy;
    3.  and disrespectful.
    I see no point whatsoever in "let me tell you why I'm right and you're wrong"--  I think the whole idea is a power-trip. 

If somebody wants or asks for my opinion on something, I'll state it-- but if they go into "back you against a wall to defend yourself" mode, I'm finished.

8. First Colony profile image61
    First Colonyposted 5 years ago

I'm a bit late for this question, but I will tell you that there is a quote that I enjoy: "If you are arguing on the Internet, you've already lost".

working