If you were to learn just one programming language, what would it be and why?

1. sunforged profile image75
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

If you were to learn just one programming language, what would it be and why?

If at all possible address the job market possibilities and point to some free online resources that provide training.

2. mrpudgy profile image83
    mrpudgyposted 6 years ago

The internet is obviously growing... Anyone can see that. With the boom of social websites, info sites, and businesses going online, it's no wonder that there is a need (however slight or significant) for web developers. If you want to get into the industry and make a piece of the pie and be able to eat it too, I would personally learn PHP and MySQL. Sites nowadays run with a database behind them, powering them all the way to your web browser. PHP and MySQL go hand in hand. If you want to truly learn the craft and make some great products, you must learn both. A great place to get your feet wet with some free instructional articles on PHP and MySQL is http://www.w3schools.com.

Now if the internet isn't your cup o' tea, and you are more of a computer software guy (or girl) that loves to install the latest and greatest software that helps others, I would go with C++. You can make just about anything with C++. Video game engines, operating software, apps, computer geological models, and the list goes on. The list of places you could get a job in the current market are quite possibly endless. However, don't expect to make millions of dollars as a computer programmer. You could, but that would entail you starting your own business and creating a fresh new product that isn't already saturated in the market.

So.... if web dev is your thing, PHP and MySQL. If you are a software guy, C++ is the yellow brick road.

Hope I answered your question. I speak from personal experience smile